Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby shayneo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Wow Graham I have met my match ! That was a long one lol !

Yea I did a bit of over here in wa, it use to be called TAFE.

I did refrigeration, aircon, domestic appliances, electrical principals.

But that was a few years ago now,2004 long story but didn't end up doing much of it myself ! So as you & the guys would know, if you don't keep up with things after you have learnt it, well it don't take long to forget most of what you did learn ! & that's me !

I have brains enuf to know don't play with something you really don't understand m8t !

That's why I took it someone to have him & his mate look at it.

But I am not certain if they actually know or knew much about inverters, they had it for 8 weeks & told me what I basically knew. They had lots of tele,amps, radio equipment around, in a games room setup

I just didn't know what part or parts were dead, all I know is its in the motherboard, he did say it was unusual that it shorted out there, they generally short out, on what ever it is at the back of the inverter, big square thing with heaps of post, legs or terminals, or whatever its called, got me beat ! Like an aluminium block.

So yes its well out of my field & I won't play with it ! Etheir kill myself or blow it sky high mate !

I live south of Perth in Myalup Harvey 6220 postcode, roughly 90 mins from Perth.

Mosfets, I don't even know what that is Graham, this is well & ,truely out of my understanding ! Just need someone to fix it, not so many people over here get into it, more into trying to get me to throw it & buy one of theirs instead m8t !

I believe better the devil you know than the one you dont I say !

I'd rather throw money into this & up grade, it to something worth while ! Befote I brought it I did some research & it was all positive ! About the powerstar ! Value for monie !

I am smart enuf to know that even a $8000 inverter or tele may have issues, thats life !

The nite it blew there was huge thunderstorm I mean massive at that, its not grid connected, its isolated. Has earth wire from back of unit to ground stake just outside shed door. No lighting strikes anywhere, first thing that I looked for when it was off.

I removed cover looked for burn or short out marks, didn't notice any, then while unit was off no power supply at all !!! Remove a small plug the smallest of the lot that has 4 wires on it, from motherboard or the smallest board & it then started surppling power to the house again ! But from generator only, will not supply power from my battery bank at all, to house or shed The LCD screen don't display anything, not even light up M8t

Generator was off & inverter was just running off 24 volt setup. 12 Emerson T 2vlts 500amps each.

There were a few times over a month or so, I would go out to shut the gen down & the LCD screen was reading, it had lost communication ! So I would turn it off & it started doing what evet it was meant to be doing, but while in no communication mode, it was still surppling power to house, so what lost communication meant I don't know ? But did it at lease 6 times in a month or so !

Yes still still working on photos, look it up last nite, Seems I have to transfer from my ph to my lap top & do down sizing there, more stuff I am not sure about ! But I will get there !

Wow !! That was long winded hey Graham !
Regards.
Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby new to solar power » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi I was browsing on Alibaba and found these toroidal Inverters up to 8000w output.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 00869.html
Just wondering if they are worth checking out by one of you technical guys which I am not so.
I have been using a gen power 48v 6000w pure sine wave inverter for my workshop until it died.
6000w solar. 2/80A Fangpusun charge controllers. 1/Genpower Inverter 6000w/18000w, 220w idle (ouch) for the workshop, 1/Tingen Inverter 6000/12000w, 24w idle for the house. 24/2v 1200ah OPzV Allgrand batteries. 1/Diesel Generator 53a 230v 50hz
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby shayneo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi mate ! Hope you not throwing that question to me ?

I don't even know what a Toroidal coil is bro ! Well I know what one is, but the difference between that & conventional coil !

But I have read here, that they seem to up there, in minimizing power consumption when its in standby mode ?

One guy here did a change over to Toroidal, he was wrapped, with it performance !

So best you call up for a guy name Graham & maybe davidg, their the ones that chat to me, they seem they are on the ball with this stuff !
Regards
Shayneo
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi, you often get what you pay for.... I note these guys have a 5000 unit minimum order quantity!

That is quite a lot of inverters.

Cheers.

G.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby new to solar power » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Graham,
Reading further down the page in where the questions and anwsers are it says
Q3:Do you have MOQ request?
A3:We always accept trial order.At the moment we don't have MOQ request.
Cheers Alex
6000w solar. 2/80A Fangpusun charge controllers. 1/Genpower Inverter 6000w/18000w, 220w idle (ouch) for the workshop, 1/Tingen Inverter 6000/12000w, 24w idle for the house. 24/2v 1200ah OPzV Allgrand batteries. 1/Diesel Generator 53a 230v 50hz
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:50 pm

shayneo wrote:
I just didn't know what part or parts were dead, all I know is its in the motherboard, he did say it was unusual that it shorted out there, they generally short out, on what ever it is at the back of the inverter, big square thing with heaps of post, legs or terminals, or whatever its called, got me beat ! Like an aluminium block.

Ok sounds like the guys may well know what they are talking about, the leggy things on the big aluminium blocks are the mosfets and these are the bits that normally blow if it is going to be a simple fix.

I think oztules was producing (in collaboration with some of the guys on the forum) a modified set of boards that basically have all of the good ideas that have been discussed and none of the bad bits. I have not stayed with this part, maybe one of the guys could point you at that thread?

Good luck,

If all else fails then you can buy a power jack LF inverter, not as well made as the power star but good enough with a few tiny little tidy ups...

Cheers.

G.

Oh and I am not an expert at all, just been interested in this since then beginning by Andrew Electrix .
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby shayneo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks Graham ! Oh ! So thats what Mosfets are hey ! Just learnt something then thanks mate !

Yea old andrew seems to swim with it ok !

Graham you know how you were say radio spares Australia, will.they carry that part that I need is it the controller ? Little black square thing with little aluminum legs all around it, on motherboard ?
These guy that I took it to were saying, you cant just buy it, off the self, that it has some program on it, that basically tells the inverter what, when, how long & how to do its thing !

This was their hold up, not being to get this micro process controller, because they say they had problems with getting in touch with or finding out who the manufacturer was !

So now I am lost, if I can buy that from radio Australia ? Anyway all is not lost I will give them the email address to cindysun.

You posted the other day & let them deal with then, its their field not mine !
I'm a Arborist (tree surgeon )

Thanks G.
Regards.
Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:01 am

shayneo wrote:
Graham you know how you were say radio spares Australia, will.they carry that part that I need is it the controller ? Little black square thing with little aluminum legs all around it, on motherboard ?
These guy that I took it to were saying, you cant just buy it, off the self, that it has some program on it, that basically tells the inverter what, when, how long & how to do its thing !

This was their hold up, not being to get this micro process controller, because they say they had problems with getting in touch with or finding out who the manufacturer was !

So now I am lost, if I can buy that from radio Australia .

Shayneo, they are correct about the black thingy with all the legs around it. This would be a programmable logic controller of sorts, it has a proprietary program loaded on it which tells the inverter hardware what to do and when to do it.

I am sorry I did not make that clear when I said the other stuff is going to be available from radio spares Australia..

The whole question would still be if this was a simple overload etc or something more terminal like an actual death of the processor or associated componentry which has in turn killed the processor.

If the processor has died you will be better off getting a new controller board complete. NOTE the power star people DO NOT SELL SPARE BOARDS.

The choices would be:
1: buy another inverter of the W7 variety (as you are happy with them)
2: buy power Jack spare boards and use the existing transformer and such (but the switches become an issue as they are slightly different also these are not as well built as the w7)
3: buy a complete Power Jack LF inverter (and modify its load sensing so it can actually work as it claims)
4: buy/build and ozinverter... (Sorry I do not have a link of that but will look around and see where these chaps are up to)...

Hope this is a little clearer...

Ps yes I used to have a Lucas and salvage timber......
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby shayneo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 am

Ah yes timber, love it ! One day going to build a mill that mills 2 mtrs plus for large slabs. All about the mighty $$$ Graham !

Yes well that threw more light on my situation, with this inverter, not sure what to do now M8T !

As you would know by now, I am not knowelegable or the have experience in doing that or to even know where to start or go about it Graham.

I like the powerstar ! But not sure if I'd buy another one, if they don't or won't sell motherboard or parts to repair them.

Not good business at all !

Not sure the guys that I took it to are capable of doing this for me to the extent you just mentioned, otherwise they may have made suggestions towards this Avenue ! ?

Not have it for 8 weeks & say nothing or keep me informed on the situation, I was always chasing them up ! Every 3-4weeks to findout what's happening with the inverter.

Only to hear their still waiting for email replies on it, personally I dont think they were to keen.

I think tele's & small electronics is their stuff !

My brother now picks up TV's off road side verge collections now or buying from Gumtree & fixing them, sells them on, so can't be that technical ! As it not his field, well installs atm's, but that's just bolt em down plug the sucker in ! Maybe does maybe a few arcade games machines he's involved with. But that's it !

Well out of his field also !

So I believe that this type of repair, you'd need to know your stuff, what you are looking at, are doing or what you are trying to achieve !

So Graham ball park figures what in $$ terms could I possibly be looking at to get it working or upgrade m8t !

Do you know anyone that would do the repairs or upgrade on site or otherwise ?

Obviously I'd pay ! If I can't trust someone on this site, to do it who can you trust ? Besides I'd rather keep my cash in the family, so to speak !

Regards
Shayneo
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby new to solar power » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Graham,
I requested a price and airfreight to my home and following is the quotation

Dear Mr. Alex De Wright,
Good morning. Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for my late reply.
We are 10-year manufacturer with product collection: solar inverter and mppt controller.
What you inquired is SC-V power inverter series:
1) Improved toroidal transformer, 92% conversion efficiency,
2) Pure sine wave output, low frequency 50-60Hz;
3) Adjustable LCD display, work mode priority changed by button
4) solar+ battery/ utility work mode, automatic transfer switch function
5) Quality AVR, MOSFET, Relay unit, ensure stable performance;
6) line efficiency is up to 99%, idle current is less than 2A
7) module PCB design, easy to detect and maintain
8) free replacement is offered within 1 year warranty
SC-V 10KVA, rated power 8000w, 48vdc, 230vac, 50Hz, unit price: $528
Shipping cost by DHL: $295 (4-5 days)
In total: $528+$295=$823

Thanks and if you have any question, pls freely let me know. Have a nice day.

Awaiting for your earlier response! Thanks!

B.Rgds,
Sarah Xu

FOSHAN SC POWER TECHNOLOGY LTD.
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance