Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:00 am

Hi, knowing how robust the power star boards are/were, my inclination would be that the thing may not be as bad as you think.

Can you upload photos showing the underside of the controller board, the top of he controller board (close up of the processor) and the power boards where the mosfets and resistors live. This would tend to let a rough look see if the board is indeed dead.

Did you do the inspire torrid mod?

If not, and the thing is dead you may want to consider making up the toroidal transformer and getting an LF board set or the ozinverter if they are in production now? (Oztules).

Cheers.

Graham.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Shay neo. My previous reply was to you.

The w7 is generally a tough unit. The guy is correct in as much as the program to run the thing is proprietary so you will likely have no luck apart from changing the boards IF THE CONTROLLER IS ACTUALLY DEAD.

If you have the big square transformers then the unit will be using a lot of power when it is doing nothing, that is what this thread was specifically addressing in the early days.

If you cannot perform the work yourself competently then it would be safer to either show your repair guy so he can look at what to do or just buy a replacement that is already using the toroidal transformers. Or as I suggested in my earlier post.

Kindest regards.

Graham.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby shayneo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks Graham !

Yea ! Well I will try to up load some pics of it, but not sure how it will go m8t !

But in any case if I can't upload to show you ! Not sure if this helps but it has one rather large coil. On it is 080-49902-00 SMR SZ 1529.

If that means anything to you or anyone else ?
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby shayneo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Not sure what happened to pics !

Try again then !

Sorry I give up with the pics !!!!!

Trying to send just 4 & its saying their to big !

Not sure how the orher guy did it he had quite a few.

Regards
Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby shayneo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi Graham ! I will try agian with pics.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Make sure they are less than 100kb in size, it's plenty big enough to show any detail you need.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby shayneo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Ok thanks Gordon !

Well I just tried 1 pic site is still tell telling it is to big !

So I am sure sure how to reduce it, smaller than 100,Kib ! I'm sure there must be a way to do that ?

But I will have to ask someone to show me how to Gordon.

I will be in touch soon.

Thanks regards
Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby davidg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:35 pm

shayneo wrote:So I am not sure how to reduce it, smaller than 100,Kib ! I'm sure there must be a way to do that ?

Use paint in windows, choose "resize" then input the percentage to reduce it by, ie 50%, then save it a new file. Check the file size once it saved, when it's the right size unload it, easy :)
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby shayneo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Thanks davidg for that adivce, knew there'd be away ! But I'm not on top of that !

But I did check out, some pic's of my grandsons that I took some time ago they were around 43 to 48 kb, so maybe because I tried zoom, would that make it more m8t ?

Plus I am using my ph, nothing to flash, will try tomorrow on laptop instead.

Thanks for the advice very much appreciated M8t !

Regards Shayneo
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:30 am

Shayneo, While we are waiting for the photos, I can tell you that Radio Spares Australia is the easiest place to get all the components needed if your damage is as we hope (simple overload). These guys have small count component orders, good quality components and best of all free freight for online orders.
I think from memory I got my resistors, transistors, opto isolators from these guys, while buying bulk mosfets from eBay (I bought the mosfets on bulk as we were doing a lot of experimenting and it was quite common to hear a lot of little bangs while playing) having said that radio spares Australia also sell the mosfets at reasonable prices.

Another thought I have had and maybe some others are having, is your ability to perform these fixes yourself. I mean no disrespect at all and I think it is great that you have researched and contacted, but just please remember the outputs you are playing with will kill you if you are not very careful and touch the wrong things etc.

Having said all of that, where are you? I.e. Are you in the middle of nowhere, the back of Bourke, beyond the black stump or in a highly populated area? I ask this as there may also be other repairers who could help you if the damage is as we hope!

Yet more to mull, and more for curiosity than anything else, what exactly happened prior to the inverters damage?

Cheers. G.

Oh and looking forward to seeing these photos.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance