5Kw system performance?

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

5Kw system performance?

Postby Derick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 pm

I live in Perth, and was told that my 5Kw system would produce 40KWh of power per day in the summer and 20-odd in the winter. Yesterday it produced 22KWh for the day, which I am mighty dissappointed with to be honest. All my panel are North facing. Can anyone give me any assistance as to what a 5Kw system should produce in Perth in the middle of summer? Between 11:30-13:30, power generation peaked at 3170w. I perhaps foolishly assumed that at the top of the day in a February heatwave that I would have been producing 5000w from my roof?
Derick
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: 5Kw system performance?

Postby cw nsw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Derick you might like to read the Clean Energy Council's guidelines to consumers to give you some realistic information. There's a pdf on this link you can download.

http://www.cleanenergycouncil.org.au/ce ... arPV-guide

below is a pertinent sentence on page 15 of the document:

Temperature
"The amount of electricity a solar PV panel can generate is reduced as temperatures increase. Solar panels operate best at ambient temperatures up to 25°C. However, if the ambient temperature is higher, the panel’s output declines."

Given that Perth's recorded temp yesterday was about 39, so your panels were copping a temperature blast probably in the 50's or 60's at least, so their output was going to be reduced, not increased.

For real life comparisons with other people's systems, you might also like to check out a site called pvoutput.org where people submit their daily figures - can make for interesting & useful comparisons.
cw nsw
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Derick wrote:I live in Perth, and was told that my 5Kw system would produce 40KWh of power per day in the summer ...

Whoever told you that is talking through their *rse. Whilst you would get 40+kWh from 5kW of panels on a tracker on a not too hot sunny day in summer, for a fixed rooftop installation you might get 30kWh on a good summer not too hot day. I'd say on average, which includes cloudy days, 20-25kWh is more realistic for a fixed array for a hot summer weather in Perth for a 5kW array. You may well see your best production on cool spring or autumn days.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby thylacene » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 pm

Just posted specs on my setup in Canberra. 5.4 Kw of panels, SMA5000 inverter, peak daily output observed at Inverter is 36.7Kw/h max point int time output observed is 4970W. Average for last 101 days is 27.7Kw/h per day on the feed in tariff meter. Seeing less than 3% loss between inverter and meter.

Unless there is a special clause for WA, I don't see you getting 40Kw/h, but you could expect 34 if yoru setup is designed correctly and the losses
thylacene
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Joey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Derick wrote:I live in Perth, and was told that my 5Kw system would produce 40KWh of power per day in the summer and 20-odd in the winter. Yesterday it produced 22KWh for the day, which I am mighty dissappointed with to be honest. All my panel are North facing. Can anyone give me any assistance as to what a 5Kw system should produce in Perth in the middle of summer? Between 11:30-13:30, power generation peaked at 3170w. I perhaps foolishly assumed that at the top of the day in a February heatwave that I would have been producing 5000w from my roof?

Hi Derick ,

I live in Perth as well and have a 4.2KW system , all panels facing West so not as ideal as yours.

At 1.00pm it was 3477W which is about normal , but keep in mind heat is Solar Powers worst enemy! they thrive on clear sunny days with a cool breeze so your best output over here will be between November and January , Feb is when you see it really start to tapper off especially in the awful hot still conditions we have had , it will be at it's worst in June / July .

Today was very clear 34 Deg with a slight cool breeze so you should have been seeing well over 4000W and up to 4400W today around Midday so there is something very wrong with your system , I would be getting it checked out straight away.

Even in the best weather you will never see 5000W , but there are times called the cloud edge effect that will make it spike that high , If you ever see 4500W that would be perfect taking into account very minimal 10% loses.
If your system is working perfectly you should see up to 36Kwh on a perfect day in December ,but in the middle of winter June / July you will see days as low as 12kwh , yesterday mine peaked at 3344W and produced 22.92Kwh for the day and remember mine is facing West so yours should have made around 25 to 26Kwh.
Joey
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance