Yellow Solar Panels

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Yellow Solar Panels

Postby RJS » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 am

I have a 1KW system 9 months old and when I climbed on roof to clean panels I found 5 panels had a creamy/yellow color substrate whilst the last one was white.This prompted me to check the serial numbers and the 5 colored ones had numbers within 100 of each other but the white one had a serial number some 9 million later.I am no rocket scientist but something here does'nt gel I feel that the 5 colored panels may be second hand.although the frames appear to be new.Has anyone else any ideas on this.
For obvious reasons I do not wish to name the brand of panel or the supplier.I did query the suppliers who assured me they were new panels but were at a loss to explain why different color and serial numbers.
RJS
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Yellow Solar Panels

Postby jono2b » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:49 pm

It could possibly be a quality control problem in manufacturing, maybe you got a bad batch, or one with a slightly different material (manufacturers do change suppliers over time)

Were the panels always like this or has the color change happened over time?
Has there been any noticeable degradation in performance? If not I probably would just keep an eye on them and make sure it doesnt get worse. Unless you particularly care about the colour...
jono2b
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Some of the relatively cheap panels I bought on ebay a couple of years ago have a slight yellow colour to them now, but their output is still good.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby rg767 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm

I have serial numbers of panels change so I wouldn't worry about it -they are sometimes from different facilities.

I would worry though if the TPT has changed colour.

Some panels that I know have gone a brown colour are older BP or Solarex units, and it is the lamination glue degrading.
rg767
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Inspector » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:48 am

I'm not sure if this is with all manufacturers, but my panels show the date of manufacture as part of the serial number - eg: JW0395201004240213 - the 20100424 is the date. I think the 0395 might be a batch number, and the 0213 the actual panel number.
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby rg767 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:32 pm

They vary - and usually the bits of the number that change are in the middle!
rg767
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby magbusser » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi,
I have also experinced yellowing of my solar panels within a short time after installation. It is my opinion that whist the yellowing may not effect performance now how can you be sure of that in the future. The 25 year performance warranty is mandatory for all panels. I approached the supplier/importer of my panels and argued sucessfully that it was a manufacturing defect and ALL (30) panels were replaced under warranty. PM me if require further details.
Wayne
Xantrax 5.0GT with 30 x 190w panels in three arrays northern roof
Xantrax 5.0GT with 30 x 190w panels in three arrays western roof
Conergy 400 ltr SHWS northern roof
Insist on products built up to a standard not down to a price.
Caveat Emptor.
magbusser
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby president_ltd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 pm

RJS wrote:This prompted me to check the serial numbers and the 5 colored ones had numbers within 100 of each other but the white one had a serial number some 9 million later.I am no rocket scientist but something here does'nt gel I feel that the 5 colored panels may be second hand.although the frames appear to be new.Has anyone else any ideas on this.

you presumably signed some paperwork 9 months ago related to RECs on your system which should have had the seiral numbers for the panels in question.

suggest you check what paperwork you signed, and if you got the RECs for them.
president_ltd
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Inspector » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:52 pm

I vaguely recall reading that yellowing of the panel glass is due to iron content of the glass. Cheaper panels may have higher iron content and prone to changing colour. No idea how much it affects panel output though. It wouldn't be cheap to send one away to get tested, but certainly follow up the manufacturer's or installer's warranty. If the installer claims there is nothing to worry about, I'd be asking them to prove this in writing!
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby president_ltd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:38 pm

Inspector wrote:I vaguely recall reading that yellowing of the panel glass is due to iron content of the glass.

i'd expect any 'recent' PV solar panels be made with low-iron glass these days due to its vastly superior thermal performance.
president_ltd
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Next

Return to Components, Installation And Performance