Yellow Solar Panels

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Yellow Solar Panels

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:35 pm

When adjusting the declination on my equatorial tracker today for the rapidly south heading sun, I had a close inspection of the 4 of my panels that are yellowing, and its definitely not the glass that is changing colour, it is the once white material that surrounds/backs/holds the cells in place, so I cant see that it will cause any reduction in output, in the short or long term. IE it's not a problem at all.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby RJS » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:18 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:When adjusting the declination on my equatorial tracker today for the rapidly south heading sun, I had a close inspection of the 4 of my panels that are yellowing, and its definitely not the glass that is changing colour, it is the once white material that surrounds/backs/holds the cells in place, so I cant see that it will cause any reduction in output, in the short or long term. IE it's not a problem at all.

Thanks for reply Gordon , One of my mates about 500 meters away has 1Kw system supplied by same company with almost identical tilt and orientation but with different brand panels and he produces almost one Kwh daily more than my system. Using PVWatts as a guide the slight difference in tilt does not allow for the extra productin of 1 Kwhr
RJS
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:17 am

Different brand panels... that might be relevant, has he always produced more, or has your production gone down relative to his? There is no reason at all for the glass to become more opaque, so it would be the backing that is going yellow, like mine I suspect. If the glass did have more Iron, then it would be greenish to start with, and wouldnt be changing. There is plenty of Fe in house window glass, and it doesn't change colour.

How about shading, do you have any at all during the day, and any time of the year?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby RJS » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:27 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Different brand panels... that might be relevant, has he always produced more, or has your production gone down relative to his? There is no reason at all for the glass to become more opaque, so it would be the backing that is going yellow, like mine I suspect. If the glass did have more Iron, then it would be greenish to start with, and wouldnt be changing. There is plenty of Fe in house window glass, and it doesn't change colour.

How about shading, do you have any at all during the day, and any time of the year?

He has always produced more, Some shading at both places very early morning very late afternoon.The Company now says they will check things out and see if a claim for warranty will be possible.I am patiently waiting for this to happen. I will post results if/when this occurs.
PS. The yellowing appears to be the white substrate fading!!!
RJS
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:31 pm

If you were both able to accurately log your output, it would be much easier to figure out why there is a difference, but I'm certain it isn't due to the yellowing substrate.

Are you sure you have exactly the same total panel rating? A "1kW" system might have anything from just under 1000W to 1200W.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby RJS » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:If you were both able to accurately log your output, it would be much easier to figure out why there is a difference, but I'm certain it isn't due to the yellowing substrate.

Are you sure you have exactly the same total panel rating? A "1kW" system might have anything from just under 1000W to 1200W.

You may be on the right track. Both systems have 6 x 170watt mono panels, 1100 watt SMA inverter.His wire run is from North side of house to South.My panels are on my shed with inverter directly below[I should have advantage ] my panel voltage is 36.5 V. his is 36.1 v [ more advantage] But as you point out [Oils ain't just oils Sol]
Will wait and see what the suppliers come up with.
RJS
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance