Reg issue

Support forum for the Energy Matters Solar Analyser; a FREE solar power site evaluation tool for the iPhone and iPod Touch that provides full solar site analysis (Australia only)!

Reg issue

Postby chambersnitch » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:17 pm

I've got 4 of the 250W Saronic solar panels, and I am sourcing a reg to equip.

Heard a lot talks on the MPPT and PWM regulator, is the MPPT so distinctively efficient that the PWM?

It seems to me MPPT could make a storey of some wasted power, and charge them back to the battery(don't know this is what's really happening), it's just the terminology so confuse me off!

I think I've got enough power supply, but not intending to ruin them with dodgy solar reg. If the reg is broken, would it damage the solar panel?

Any advice will be much appreciated!
chambersnitch
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Reg issue

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Chambersnitch :)

MPPT charge controllers can increase the output from your solar panels by up to 30%, depending on the panel specifications. It is important to match up the panels controller and battery voltages correctly for best performance though.

MPPT charge controllers allow PV panels to operate at their maximum power point, wheras PWM regulators force the panel to work at battery voltage, which is usually at a power level significantly below their peak. MPPT charge controllers also allow panels to be connected in strings, allowing lower currents between panel and controller, reducing cable resistive losses and/or the size of cable required.

If a regulator is broken, chances are it will be an open circuit and wont damage the solar panel, but it does depend on what sort of "broken" it is!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Reg issue

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:01 pm

I think we need to know more about what battery setup you are planing to use and the specs of the panels, as when you talk about a charger not working correctly the first thing that comes to mind is how long until it kills the possible thousands of dollars battery pack you have.

Cheers
Ray
Ray
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Return to Solar Analyser Support