Bluetooth Range Solution - SMC 60000TL

Support forum for the Energy Matters Solar Analyser; a FREE solar power site evaluation tool for the iPhone and iPod Touch that provides full solar site analysis (Australia only)!

Bluetooth Range Solution - SMC 60000TL

Postby Mungadog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Just a bit of feedback. Last year I had a Sunny Mini Central SMC 60000TL installed and was keen to ensure that I have access to the stats via the Bluetooth card installed to my workstation located some 30 metres away from the device using Sunny Explorer.

Once commissioned I soon learned that the Bluetooth transmitting area for the inverter was limited to about 3 metres, due to the metal casing of the inverter (confirmed by one of the SMA techs).

This meant that I had to take a lap top out to near the inverter each night to capture kWH produced for that day and if I miss a day, the inverter does not provided a graph for the day I miss.

So the solution was not to make any changes to inverter but instead I purchased a Manhattan Bluetooth Adaptor - Hi-Speed USB, C1 + EDR, with a Range of 100m (328ft) at $19 AU (from Scorptech Rowville Vic) and plugged it into my workstation.

After setting up the new adaptor and establishing a connection to the inverter with Win7 I can now connect to the inverter using Sunny Explorer with 50% Bluetooth connectivity.

No trips to the garage each day to get a reading with the laptop and did not have to purchase the SMA Bluetooth repeater, which is limited in range as I understand it.

Thought this feed back might help someone. :)
Mungadog
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Bluetooth Range Solution - SMC 60000TL

Postby Outbound Brown » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 am

Mungadog,
I purchased one of the blue tooth adaptors that you suggested. When the IVT software is running it picks up the SMA inverter, however it wont connect.

Any tips?

Also are using Sunny Explorer?

Thanks in advance
Outbound Brown
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Mungadog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:09 pm

OB, Yes running Sunny Explorer 1.03.4 and yes mine did connect but has not for awhile I must admit. I need to get the laptop and take it a bit closer to the inverter to see that the bluetooth is working in the inverter, the old elimination trick used when finding a fault. By the way I did have a few problems before I upgraded to SE 1.03.4 so thats not the issue.

The other problem I have is that I am running Win7 on a Mac using VmWare again that was not a problem in the past but I had to reinstall Win7 recently and I think that's where my problems started. Will keep trying to connect.

Regards Maurie
Mungadog
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Privatteer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:40 am

I had to connect to my SMA Sb 1700 by opening the bluetooth software first and enabling it as a comport for that device. Then Sunny Explorer would detect it.
Fresh slate - recently moved.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby KPrawn68 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:47 pm

You could install a Bluetooth repeater near the inverter to get it on to house, I'm surprised a tech said three metres due to the metal casing of the inverter as I've not encountered such a loss of signal.
KPrawn68
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Outbound Brown » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Its probably important to point out, that particular Bluetooth device doesnt have any Windows 7 64bit drivers available for it. If thats what your are running on your PC look elsewhere and done waste your money. I did.
Outbound Brown
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Anthony » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:28 am

Seeking some direction on monitoring my array.

I have 6.6kw of panels on the roof, all orientated true north and tilted at the correct latitude for me area. The system works well in 11 months has produced 10300kw of power, we lie on the coast and have had a lot of rain in the past 12 months.

The inverter is a SMA 5000 with Bluetooth, I only use an iPad and iPhone for Internet access.

I am wanting to be able to monitor the system via the Internet whilst we are away, could anyone give me some ideas, I don't have a landline for Internet only mobile broadband.

Thanks
Anthony
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Privatteer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:41 pm

The actual monitoring side is easy. Pvbeancounter running on a small (low spec) pc/laptop with bluetooth uploading to pvoutput.org. Worked great for me and can see results anywhere have net access.
In your situation you would have to add a usb mobile dongle. Preferably on a small data, unlimited time account.

There is a webbox from SMA but last time I looked it was about $700 and you would still need to give it net access somehow.

Click on the link in sig to see what the output looks like. Click "live" to get to data for just the day.
Fresh slate - recently moved.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Anthony wrote:Seeking some direction on monitoring my array.

Sunny webbox bluetooth version, designed specifically for the job.
As mentioned PC (netbook) and sent to PVoutput, this works very nicely

In any solution an internet connection will be needed.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Solar Analyser Support