Mill-Stone sold off..?? Cullerin

There's more to renewable energy than just wind and solar power - hydro, wave, geothermal to name a few. Discuss these RE alternatives here!

Mill-Stone sold off..?? Cullerin

Postby Tracker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:56 am

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2016/origin-sells-30mw-nsw-wind-farm-72m-21425

By Sophie Vorrath on 17 June 2016
Origin Energy has announced the sale of its 30MW Cullerin Range Wind Farm in New South Wales, nine months after the utility flagged plans to sell off a range of non-core assets in a bid to rein in debt and shift its renewables focus to solar.

It won't make me feel different when I drive to Melb.., and see those blades turning on a clam day, but it's now some one elses problem..

I have wondered if that farm really made a profit

Just interesting
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Mill-Stone sold off..?? Cullerin

Postby Privatteer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:00 pm

While wind is of course highly variable day to day this graph seems to indicate it produces a reasonable amount of power. I'm sure no one would buy it if it was a negative venture.

(Unselect all the states then select CULLRGWF and MW option)
Fresh slate - recently moved.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Re them turning on "calm days", the wind at ground level is always less than at hub height on a large wind turbine tower, particularly so in the mornings (and on some cloudy days) before the moving air gets mixed downwards by convection. Hot pockets of calm air rise and moving pockets of cooler air descend. The difference between ground and hub height wind speeds can be particularly high when there is a temperature inversion between low ground areas and the turbines on higher ground.

Just to be very clear, they are not being turned by motors to provide wind for the turbines on the other side of Lake George :lol:
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Helipos » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Tracker wrote: and see those blades turning on a clam day,

They also produce no meaningful power if they are just turning over. It takes a bit of wind at ground level to notice the MW value pick up on the protection relays in the substation.
Helipos
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:48 pm

It is rather amusing, that you can drive down the highway on semi foggy days and the fog sits still but the turbines are just slowely turning, whilst far across lake George, those turbines sit motionless..,

No.. I will bet that THEY are embarrassed by those turbines, just sitting there , IN YOUR FACE, and demand that they be turned as.PR..

I would wonder if the generation.figures are valid.. but what would i know.. :idea:
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Other renewable energy