Geothermal query

There's more to renewable energy than just wind and solar power - hydro, wave, geothermal to name a few. Discuss these RE alternatives here!

Geothermal query

Postby erhco29 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Could someone give me an idea of the approximate temperature difference between 20c ambient above ground temp and 10 meters below the surface , or where would I find information relating to this question .

regards Erhco29
erhco29
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Geothermal query

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:15 pm

That depends on your location! The temperature from about 2m below ground level downwards for at least a few metres is usually very close to the annual average temperature for that location. Here it's around 16-17C.
The BOM should have temperature data for somewhere near your location.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby erhco29 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks for the quick response Gordon , would there be an appreciable drop in temperature at 20 meterst below the surface ?

erhco29
erhco29
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm not sure exactly what it would be at 20m, but I suspect not too much different from what it is at 2m, in most places. Once you start to go down a significant distance, it warms up again, but I don't think that would be the case at 20m, unless in a geothermal/volcanic region.
The easiest way to find out would be to find a water bore of suitable depth nearby and lower a temperature logger/thermometer down on a cable to measure it, if you need to know precisely.

Why do you need to go so deep? It isn't really geothermal if you are only going 10 or 20m down anyway for use with a heat pump, it's ground coupled. Geothermal heat is generally found at much deeper depths.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby erhco29 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 am

I am looking for a cost effective way to cool water not heat ,had an idea that by dropping it down to a depth of 20 meters inside a sealed casing and drawing it back up from the bottom it may have cooled sufficiently for what I require ( about 10 -15 c would be nice )
Being situated in Queensland ( South Burnett ) I would have assumed that the temperature at that depth would be markedly lower than the ambient temp above ground in the summer where temps range from 18-20 overnight to 32-38 during the day.

erhco
erhco29
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: (not) Geothermal query

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 am

For somewhere like Kingaroy the deep ground temperature will be around 20-21C, if you want 10-15C, you'll probably have to move to central-southern NSW ranges or Vic ranges, or even Tasmania ;) Launceston's ground temp is around 12-13C.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby erhco29 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 am

Thats ok I would rather put up with the heat than move south , thats a bit of a no brainer !!!!
erhco29
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Other renewable energy