WTC ---- Wind Turbine Complex.. fact or fiction

There's more to renewable energy than just wind and solar power - hydro, wave, geothermal to name a few. Discuss these RE alternatives here!

Re: WTC ---- Wind Turbine Complex.. fact or fiction

Postby lantern » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:11 am

IMHO it's fiction.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:51 am

Well, I sumise that the practical science is convinced that WTC does not exist as a medical condition.
Next, we need to convince those complaining to be suffering the condition, that it is all in their minds

Finally, we could but hope, that supposed intelligent and respected Radio Commentators like Alan Jones, could accept reality, and despite sensational claims against the WTG technology, that they can have a place within sustainability. .
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 am

I'm fairly certain the facts have never gotten in the way of a "good story" for the likes of Alan Jones. Didn't he once claim that wind turbines cause “irregular urinary habits”?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:36 pm

Tracker wrote:Is there anyone out there living with a wind farm..

Here you go: http://www.vicwind.org.au/waubra-videos

and more generally:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/wind-tu ... tory-84748
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Alex Morrow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:24 pm

“irregular urinary habits”
I suspect we're talking about people pi**ing themselves laughing at his inanities.

Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:55 pm

All of Barrett’s interviewees say they can hear the turbines but none say they are bothered by them or suffer from any health problems they attribute to the turbines.
If there is such a phenomenon as “wind turbine syndrome” it would seem it is a condition that, remarkably, can be prevented by the wonder drug called money.

Pretty much sums it up - I guess.. and much as would be expected..
Money is a powerful inoculant against WTC...
and not being the ones getting the money - a powerful antagonism .. :idea: :lol: == STRESS

I'm afraid that Mr. Jones will only ever believe that which is sensational and improves his ratings..
Factual Science, does not always matter.. Try and advise him how PV panels can help with power bills and he will just add you to his official SPAM list..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Tracker wrote:Try and advise him how PV panels can help with power bills and he will just add you to his official SPAM list..

No! Have you seriously been added to Mr Jones spam list? :lol: That's almost too funny!

Once you've gone off grid, you never reconnect. bwharr har har (evil genius laugh).
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Tracker wrote:Pretty much sums it up - I guess.. and much as would be expected..
Money is a powerful inoculant against WTC...
and not being the ones getting the money - a powerful antagonism .. :idea: :lol: == STRESS

I assume that this comes as no surprise? You will have noticed the ad's on TV for "compensation lawyers"? Money makes everything better! And a perceived inequality in the distribution of money makes everything worse.

Hence:

Carbon tax ("money saves the planet")

Solar FIT ("not fair that we don't get enough")

And any number of other things! Unfortunately it doesn't prove anything except that everybody has their price. Mr Jones has his price to tell a good story, scientists have their price to tell a good story (been there, done that). Whilst, as I have stated before, I have no knowledge of whether WTC (or living under power lines, near mines, close to nuclear power stations etc.) actually causes any harm, it simply confirms my previous post that it is almost impossible to prove these things one way or another. If we take money as a motivation, do we believe those who didn't get any, or those who did?

It's quite amusing if you think about it from another viewpoint: people constantly tell us that those who "deny" climate change are doing so because they are paid by the coal industry, and therefore they are covering up the damage to protect their financial interests. We find that easy to believe. Yet apparently we find it impossible to believe that people who are paid by the wind farm companies would even contemplate telling a lie.....

It is an unfortunate fact that these days there is so much money tied up in everything that "the truth" is a rare commodity indeed.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 am

.....it is almost impossible to prove these things one way or another. If we take money as a motivation, do we believe those who didn't get any, or those who did?....

That is where a local doctor would be great.. ie. To give an opinion on health issues encountered by those in the middle of it..
IF, IF, JUST IF, there is a physiological link, then the local GP would have to see the effect.
Those that took the rubles should be equally affected but not complaining publicly.

Anyway, it seems we have had no luck drawing out some comment from anyone physically involved.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:17 am

Tracker wrote:That is where a local doctor would be great.. ie. To give an opinion on health issues encountered by those in the middle of it..
IF, IF, JUST IF, there is a physiological link, then the local GP would have to see the effect.
Those that took the rubles should be equally affected but not complaining publicly.

But in fact even something as simple as that is not true, and wouldn't be considered to be true by those who "don't believe" in WTC. I seem to recall that in fact some of those who are concerned about WTC are in fact local GP's, yet their comments are written off. Medicine and doctors are still subject to personal opinion, which is why if you visit enough doctors you can get diagnosed with almost anything you like!

In rural areas people tend not to complain, even if there is actually a doctor for them to complain to. People struggle on with all kinds of ailments. As a result, many people well never bother going to a doctor, especially for low level chronic symptoms which are simply accepted as part of life or growing old. As Gordon pointed out earlier, if these people hear about WTC and then go to a doctor this is translated as WTC being imaginary, a "communicable disease" or motivated by money. And those who have taken the money aren't likely to complain, and may well strive to blame it on something else.

And that's all before the doctor in question gets a visit from either the pro or anti wind farm organizations!

It's a difficult subject. On balance it would be my suspicion that for the majority of people WTC is a psychological condition, but that doesn't make it any less real to them than anorexia or depression. I also have no doubt that like in most things, different people have different levels of susceptibility, and that lifestyle, location and building design would also play a part IF WTC is a physiological condition. I am also quite certain that for the reasons outlined in previous posts (most notably money) it is unlikely we will see a definitive answer any time soon.

So I suggest we add WTC to the long list of subjects* where money and belief has distorted or removed any ability to reach a well reasoned or unbiased conclusion.

*Starts with:

AGW
Glyphosate
"Chemicals"
Organic food
Fluoride
Politics
Religion
etc. etc.

"Numbers don't lie, that's where statistics come in!"
zzsstt
Solar Crusader