Hi from Sydney!

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Hi from Sydney!

Postby Sunder » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi All,

Thought I'd do a quick introduction. I found this place while trying to do the vampiric drain mod on the Power Jack inverters.

Quick intro: 39, home owner in Sydney that's fully on grid, my dad has a hobby farm in Wiseman's ferry 100% off grid, which I built for him, and have learned a lot, but still consider myself a newbie.

I want to go off grid in metro Sydney, but I drive an electric car, which raises the bar somewhat. Interestingly, according to AGL, even with an electric car, I only use a little more than the average family. But 20kwh a day is still a lot of power for an off-grid solution.

I do have plenty of experience with batteries of different chemistries - My electric motorcycle is LiFePo4, my electric bike is LiPo, and my electric car is Li-Ion, and the farm is running off Lithium Titanate (it's in a farm shed, so despite the expense, it was the best chemistry for regular >60*C heat). I've played around with flooded and sealed lead acid, and worked with everything from prismatic, to pouch to 18650 and 26650 cylindrical, if anyone is looking for help with that.

I'm moving to the UK for a 2 year secondment end of next year, so I am definitely not going ahead before that, but when I get back, my plan is to buy second hand panels, and feed them into a 20kwh Lithium Titanate (LTO), or chilled and undercharged Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) type battery (to extend life and reduce fire risk). It will be inverted to 240v through converted second hand UPSes.

The battery alone at today's prices will cost me around $10k for NMC, or $20k LTO, but using second hand panels and UPSes, I don't expect that to cost a lot up front - just need to repair/replace them far more often, which at this age, I am happy to do.

It's not really about saving money - The pay back on this thing would be at least a decade if not longer, I just believe that air quality is a very important to quality of life, and after reading that people who live within 50km of a power station is much more likely to die of so many different things, I wanted to make sure I'm not contributing to it.

"Health problems associated with pollution from Australia's ageing fleet of coal-fired power stations costs the nation $2.6 billion a year.

Children and the elderly are especially prone to the lengthy list of health problems including asthma, lung cancer, heart attacks, stroke, respiratory disease, headaches, nausea, bronchitis, choking and coughing, and irritation of the eyes, nose and throat, the new analysis from Environmental Justice Australia shows.

People who live within 50km of a coal-fired power station are three to four times more likely to die prematurely than those further away."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017 ... ealth-bill
Sunder
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Hi from Sydney!

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Sunder :)

UPSs generally have a fairly high standby power draw, you might be better off looking for a decent quality 2nd hand inverter, such as Latronics or Selectronic.

Off-grid 20kWh/day isn't too hard with say 5kW or more PV and 20kWh of Lithium battery in a sunny climate. I typically use about that much here in autumn-winter-spring, and up to 50kWh/day in summer, with 7kW of PV.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Sunder » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Gordon. I'll have to keep that in mind and see how bad it actually is.
Sunder
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby GarnZ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Welcome Sunder, judging from your first post, you have a great outlook, ambition and enthusiasm. A pleasure to have you on board!
RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Introduce yourself