Push-pull water pumping?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Push-pull water pumping?

Postby jules » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:52 pm

I have a dam about 700m from my house with an 11 metre head. It feeds the house through a 1.5" pipeline [well it really was 1.5" when it went in :D ] and for daily use this amount of pressure is fine.

I also have a 5hp pump at the dam which I use infrequently to clean the pipeline or remove air [it's not all downhill]. I'm wondering how it would go if I added an electric pump at the house end of the line to use in conjunction with the petrol pump [at the dam] in cases of fire to give added flow.

Would this work or could the velocity of the inflow be such that the electric pump would be asked to run beyond its normal working max speed?

Jules
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Push-pull water pumping?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm

With that length of small pipe, I suspect cavitation at the electric pump end is more likely to be a problem, unless it is a low power pump
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jules » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Wish I could quantify this a bit but with the pump running at the dam I get a pretty good, maybe 10 metre long stream out of a 1" hose with a full flow nozzle. It's way more than the sort of pressure that comes from your average domestic mains supply and it's been more than adequate for fire control up to now.

Thanks Gordon. I might just have to give it a try to see if it works I guess.

Jules
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:08 pm

I don't know what pressure that pump is producing at the top end of the pipe, but if you had say 1 litre/sec coming out your hose, you'll be losing almost 20m of head, ie ~200kPa due to frictional losses in 700m of 1.5" pipe (assuming 38mm ID and a clean poly surface).

Your electric pump specs might give a max inlet pressure.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jules » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks Gordon ... fairly ancient petrol pump @ 35 years so specs and some performance lost in the mists of time. I haven't bought an electric pump yet but clearly nothing too ambitious is called for.

jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Living Green