Low output of mppt charge controller at high loads

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Low output of mppt charge controller at high loads

Postby badeea » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 pm

have a Control unit charger Victron mppt 100/50

In March, the maximum current was 35 mA charging controller at high AC loads

Currently in July it is kept to 26 amp

The question is why this deterioration

And whether the situation could be improved

The temperature of the weather may reach 38 and 39° C and humidity 45% may be caused by mppt or settings

The capacity of solar panels is 900 watts
The angle is ideal for the timing of the year

A typical angle was set for the summer period

The maximum capacity is mppt. 50 amp
Bank battery 5300 Watts operates system 24 volt four batteries 6 volt 225 amp connection serial
I repeat the question why the production of mppt change while we must rise in the middle of the sun Sun more brightness No clouds Oguarp panels not dirty or broken
badeea
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Low output of mppt charge controller at high loads

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 pm

You post is a bit confusing, but I'll have a go at answering...

badeea wrote:In March, the maximum current was 35 mA charging controller at high AC loads

That's about as much as you would expect from 900W of PV @24V, assuming you mean amps, rather than milliamps.

Currently in July it is kept to 26 amp

The solar radiation is less intense in winter as the solar radiation has to travel through a greater depth of atmosphere, plus you have the panels angled for summer, so even less radiation will be hitting the panels in winter.

However, lower temperature often compensates for this to some extent, and you can sometimes see higher current charging in winter.

Bank battery 5300 Watts operates system 24 volt four batteries 6 volt 225 amp connection serial

Battery capacity is measured in amp hours at a certain voltage, or kWh, not watts, so you have a nominal 5.4kWh of storage.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby badeea » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:44 am

Thank you so much

I mean, the maximum output for the regulator of the MTP in March is 35 amp. Cool season and the solar radiation of 6.35 in my city

In July the solar radiation rate was higher than the 7.22 expected in equations that the maximum output of the energy regulator at the same time of the day

Make sure of the following
   Clean the solar panels
  The weather is ok No clouds or dust

Battery is almost free of energy

Proper bumpers are faulty

High loads
The energy regulator of a prestigious company

We must be increasing the output of the regulator to what happened opposite
badeea
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 am

OK, I guess you are in the northern hemisphere...
The solar radiation numbers you quote, I assume are kWh/square meter/day? Thet isn't really relevant to the maximum power output you'd expect from your panels, only the amount of energy you might expect in a day, and there are numerous other factors which affect that.
Most important is temperature, and the ouptput of a PV panel is reduced in hot weather, so as I mentioned in my earlier post, in cool weather you can see higher peak current than in summer. I suspect that is what you are seeing. If you cool your panels off with water, the output will increase, just to demonstrate that point.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby badeea » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Thank you very much Gordon
  I am in the northern hemisphere
  Your explanation is very logical and acceptable, but there is something that intrigues me
The first thing in May changed the angle of the panels at night to suit the summer mode and you lifted the loads to the maximum At noon time. I noticed the output of the regulator went Height to 36 amperes on the first day, then one week or more changed to 28 and now the deterioration continues

The other is according to the mathematical equations, the dissolution difference at the maximum amp is justified at 90 C temperature plates if the thermal coefficient - 45% and the temperature measurement of 65 C plates or 70C

I am very sorry I tired you I appreciate your response
badeea
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 am

In hot weather of 35C or more, PV panels often get to 65-70C, depending a bit on wind speed, sun angle, and how and where they are mounted.

badeea wrote:I noticed the output of the regulator went Height to 36 amperes on the first day, then one week or more changed to 28 and now the deterioration continues

Was the state of charge of the battery the same each day, was the load the same, and was temperature the same?
Also if the Victron was too hot, it will cut the output current back.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics