OLd DC Lincoln generator/welder 250A SOLD

Looking for pre-loved wind and solar power gear? Have used equipment for sale? Post your wanting to buy or wanting to sell ad absolutely free here! Includes Energy Matters "bargain table" clearance specials!

OLd DC Lincoln generator/welder 250A SOLD

Postby jaahn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:31 am

Hi :D
I have an old pair of Lincoln LincwelderDC 250 BT welder/generators, a VW industrial motor and some other associated bibs and bobs. They come with an instruction manual photocopy with description of operation, mounting and driving, parts list and how to use as a generator. All need refurbishment, are not going and are partly dismantled. :cry:

However these welders would IMHO be capable of being rebuilt into a working unit with spares rated at 250 A. Or even both ! Ruggedly built units in the old style. Or a fearsome DC generator which could jog along at 140 amps all day at 30-40 Volts, or even possibly as a heavy duty DC motor for ?? :shock: One is set up for belt drive, the other to be close coupled to a VW motor. Not much difference. The VW engine may be past it but the governor and some items would perhaps transfer to another motor. Or possibly I could supply another small diesel motor as extra :roll:

Offers invited from anyone interested in using them usefully. {DC welders are good to use by the way for both heavy work as well as light} Contact by PM or email is preferred in the first instance. I am in the Newcastle area and the items are heavy so pick up only.

I have previously done one of these as a generator for a 2000AHr battery bank and welder and it is still working ok years later when required AFAIK. Runs on home produced biodiesel. Solar panels do most of the generating now.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: OLd DC Lincoln generator/welder 250A

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:34 pm

jaahn wrote:rated at 250 A

Sounds impressive, but what is the duty cycle at 250A?

Agreed pure DC welding is nice- I've welded up a few towers with 4mm rods directly from a large 24V battery
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jaahn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi Gordon :D
"Duty cycle at 250 A" Good question but as you would be using up the sticks at a quick rate with that sort of current, there would be a break to fit a new one pretty often :lol:

The book says it is "-- rated to -- N.E.M.A standards of USA output is 250A at 30v---"
Further it says "for lighting or --- where output is continuous --- should not exceed 140A --"
Jaahn :o
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Continuous rated @140A, so 250A might only be 10 or 20%.

I've got an ex US military 27/28/29V (adjustable) 220A alternator if you want some extra output ;) I changed to a higher voltage battery before I got around to setting it up on a 13HP diesel.

What sort of quantities of biodiesel are you producing, and where does the vegetable oil come from? Any issues with running the motor only on that?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jaahn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Gordon,
Hmmm good output alternator. Put it on my motorhome :o

I am not producing biodiesel, my friend was. He had a "plant" at his property and moved a bit to others around. It was originally self contained power wise and had a 24v 2000 Ahr battery bank from a mine vehicle for the rest of the time and neighbour. However that was gradually wound down to only his own use and solar panels took over the charging too. Could give more details if you like later ;)

The oil came from friendly shops etc who were paid with a bit of biodiesel if required. The only problem with biodiesel in general is cold starting in winter. Some engines need a bit of help to start and run cold on straight. Just put in bought diesel if necessary.

Actually I am not in contact directlt now for various reasons !
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jaahn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 am

bump
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jaahn » Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 am

These welders and motor are now sold.
Hopefully to do another life as welders !
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Secondhand Wind And Solar