Hi from the West

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Hi from the West

Postby NealinPerth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Just joined the forum,
I have 5.2kW of REC solar panels on the roof and a Fronius 5kW inverter. All installed about a year ago.
Currently enjoying substantially reduced power bills ( even with the paltry 7.135 cent feed in tarrif).
The caravan has 550 watts of Kyocera solar panels and a DIY lithium 200Ah Winston setup.
Very pleased with the performance of the Winstons. Last load test I still have in excess of 200 Ah in the bank after almost 3 years.

Neal
NealinPerth
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Hi from the West

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Neal :)

It's great to see your Lithium battery is still going strong! How hard a workout do you give it?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby NealinPerth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi Gordon,
I would say that usage would be described as light to medium. The main load is the compressor fridge.
Total overnight consumption would be between 40 and 80Ah, depending on the weather.
When I first purchased the caravan, it was fitted with 3 x 100 Ah agms. I had to replace these within the first 18 monthe because two of the three tested faulty. Replaced all three with a different brand then one tested faulty just after the 12 month warranty.
Made the decision to go with lithium and haven't looked back!

Neal
NealinPerth
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Panels » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28 am

HiYa Nealinperth,

Sealed batteries shouldn't float over 13.4v, regardless of what they say on the battery. I have a set of Absolyte gells, they are made in USA, they are 48v 630ah, they never go over 53.6v as per the manual (that's 13.4v referred back to 12v system). They are charged with 10kw of panels and two Midnites. They are made for standby use, railway signalling etc, I don't discharge them at night as I have a 24v system for night use with 2000ah of flooded cells.

I have a mate who had 3 12v gell batteries in his bus, charged from 2 200w panels on the roof, they were never used for camping and had never been discharged. The solar charger was not adjustable and took them to 14.5v for a preset time every day. They lasted 12 months and were dry inside when we had a look in them.

If you cant add water to a battery then don't take it to gassing voltage is my tip, and most solar chargers are non adjustable, as are 240v battery chargers. I have Midnites for this reason, their voltage can be set to 1/10th of a volt, they are the best MPPT available, and cheap if you consider that they wont boil your batteries dry. I have 4 of them on two systems with 20kw of panels, and Selectronic inverters. Most of my gear is preloved, the only way I could afford it. All self installed, solar is my hobby.

The Midnite 'Kid' is a good mppt too, half the price of the Classic.

Good luck mate, Allan in Portland, Vic. Am envious of your Lithium, maybe one day. Used electric car batteries will become available in the future maybe ......
Panels
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Introduce yourself