the rules re multiple generators

Support forum for the Energy Matters Solar Analyser; a FREE solar power site evaluation tool for the iPhone and iPod Touch that provides full solar site analysis (Australia only)!

the rules re multiple generators

Postby markd » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi,
I have a 2kw system with grid inverter and am on the old feed-in tariff (44 cents I think) for South Australia. I would like to know what my options are to expand the system without losing my current feed in tariff. I have been advised it is not possible - as soon as you do you drop back to the current tariff. Can anyone advise whether it is possible to run separate systems each connected to the grid? One system would be on the old tariff and the other on the new.

If that is not possible, is it possible to have a second system not tied to the grid at all - ie used exclusively to charge batteries during the day to cover night time usage only. The intent would be to disconnect from the grid each night or at least have this as an option.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I didn't apply for a larger generator when I registered the service (4 years ago) unfortunately. If I had I reckon you could expand the system to the capacity you were approved for. That would have been probably the best option.
Mark (Marino SA)
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: the rules re multiple generators

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:23 pm

In at least some other states a separate grid tied system has been an option that allows the original high FiT to be kept, but you'd have to check the SA rules about that.

Your electricity provider really has no say in what you do for an off-grid system, as it is not connected to their network. That is probably the better option if you want to have power through blackouts caused by gas generators failing to start, downed power lines etc.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby markd » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Ok thanks for the advice. I will find out the rules in SA.

Am I correct in thinking that with the current FIT it is really only worth installing a grid tied system to cover your daytime usage. There doesn't seem to be much point in generating an excess to go back on the grid given the prices. Is that a fair proposition? I am more concerned with reducing my reliance on the grid as much as possible as a hedge to prices continuing to increase rather than coping with blackouts so I am trying to work out my options given my current set up.
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby markd » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi Gordon - found it (from the govt website):

Installing battery storage or other renewable generators – what happens to your feed-in tariff?
If you receive a feed-in tariff and install an energy storage device (ie battery storage) or grid-connected renewable generator (eg micro wind turbine) on the same grid connection as your solar PV system, you will stop receiving the feed-in tariff once the device is installed. This is because it is not possible to distinguish between the electricity fed into the grid from the solar PV system and a storage device or generator.

I wonder if you installed two Electricity meters it would get around the problem?

Mark
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 pm

markd wrote:Am I correct in thinking that with the current FIT it is really only worth installing a grid tied system to cover your daytime usage.

Yes, unless you can find a very good deal somewhere, generally it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to be exporting energy and receiving a pittance for it. It is far better to maximise self-consumption, and minimise imported energy. One way to do that is to not have all your panels facing north, see:
solar-wind-gear/topic5064.html

If you want to use your own energy at night or during heavy overcast weather, then you would need to install a battery. I've heard that some of the commercially available batteries are financially viable in SA now, but most are still probably too expensive to install for economic reasons.

I wonder if you installed two Electricity meters it would get around the problem?

That explanation only talked about adding storage or wind turbine to an existing installation, so I'd suspect that a new installation with a new net meter wold be fine, but you should confirm that before going ahead with anything.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Solar Analyser Support