Solar panel construction, backing material ?

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Solar panel construction, backing material ?

Postby jaahn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:36 am

Hi experts :D
I was discussing some aspects of panels with a friend and the subject of the backing material came up. It is hard to identify it as familiar. Specifically the older Aussie made panels, but I guess if someone knows what new ones use as well, that would be good.
What is the sheet of stuff made of :?: It must be inert to normal degredation from sun and water and heat and cold.
How is it attached, it holds the solar cells onto the glass or are they held any other way. Superglue perhaps :roll: And itself is holding to the glass by some means ?
In very old Aussie panels it can go discoloured by the sun I have noticed. It turns orange and this becomes quite noticeable and even bright orange on some. However it seems to have no effect on the electrical performance. Any comments on this too :idea:
Cheers Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Solar panel construction, backing material ?

Postby new to solar power » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:37 pm

I just googled this,I hope this is what you want to know.

Module Materials | PVEducation
pveducation.org/pvcdrom/modules/module-materials
Most PV bulk silicon PV modules consist of a transparent top surface, ... or the rear surface must be mechanically rigid in order to support the solar cells and ... In most modules, a thin polymer sheet, typically Tedlar, is used as the rear surface.
Alex
6000w solar. 2/80A Fangpusun charge controllers. 1/Genpower Inverter 6000w/18000w, 220w idle (ouch) for the workshop, 1/Tingen Inverter 6000/12000w, 24w idle for the house. 24/2v 1200ah OPzV Allgrand batteries. 1/Diesel Generator 53a 230v 50hz
new to solar power
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby jaahn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi new to solar :?:
You don't look too new, looking at your stuff listed down the bottom ??
Thanks for that, it answers the question of what new ones use. I guess I should have Googled it my self. :roll: I see that they do not use superglue after all !!

HOWEVER I would still be interested in knowing some more about the old Aussie panels and the orange effect. I have some direct interest. Even someone who has panels which have gone this way. Comments ??

I have a 80W pollycrystalline panel which has a much thinner back covering than the bigger ones and it has been a bit damaged by handling over the years. Still works well(100 %) as a portable battery charger though. Looks like it is a different material to the roof ones and is grey. Someone on here must have worked there in the good 'ol days :!:
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:52 pm

the backing of my original sharp panels (2002) is peeling off. particularly in the small white area in the cross sections of the wafers. many of those panels i have very reduced outputs. as low as 200mA, some are still up at 2A.
so much for 25 years of lifetime.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby BruceM » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:45 pm

This is/was my experience from some time ago.
solar-wind-gear/topic6422.html?hilit=yellow#p47622
I've still got them & they are still producing close to original output.
They went yellow but now are dark orange!!!
I've noticed quite a few like mine for sale at a greatly reduced price on Gumtree at times.
I often wonder if they are "insurance or warranty" claims....
BruceM
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance