No rain / lots of rain / weather in general

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Re: No rain / lots of rain / weather in general

Postby offgridQLD » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:40 pm

PS, I see you need to calibrate your barometric pressure with a sea level correction so that you can compare with other stations.

Yes good point... Just getting it all setup today. I did see a tick box option to calibrate the bp for altitude. Will so if I can find it again.

yes the time stamp is a little random perhaps its the million WiFi devices all fighting for position (guests over and school holidays) so my little wifi router is working over time :lol: I will see how it settles in.

Edit: just checked I do have altitude calibration set. looking into it more but there are some open issues with the new server and app upgrade for my weather station. It was just upgraded last week. So running teething issues with bp (altitude comp) and sample timing on weather underground where mentioned. (they are working on it)
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:54 am

420m is the altitude of the weather station. So to calibrate the Atmospheric Pressure. Is it ok to take the absolute reading (non compensated ) and add a altitude offset from a online table / calculator?

I'm showing 960.04 hpa at the moment

Edit: I have taken the Brisbane airport (sea level) reading live and entered that into a online calculator with 420m altitude offset. With temp set at 23.9C (live temp) the number was very close to my absolute reading. the calculator then gave me a compensated reading for sea level. I used that in the calibration section of the weather station. it could need more tweaking as I learn more but will work with that for now.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Yes to your question, but you may need some fine tuning. It's best to look at the pressure at a number of BOM stations around you, and interpolate between them for your location
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Its getting harder to find a calibrated bom station in my area. As expected Brisbane has a few but that's over 100km away. Then there are a few on the sunshine coast. There was one in Maleny about 12km away and at a very similar altitude. Though that's is almost shut down now as of a few weeks ago and is only reporting once a day now with very restricted data.

More or less I am it for my local area at altitude. So I better try and get it some what correct readings so I don't get rotten eggs thrown at my house if some one is following along :lol:

I'm still getting use to the short term temp fluctuations in my location. Particularly like today when the wind pushes in from the north and you get a short blast of much warmer air followed by a cool draft from the valley. My manual. Mercury gauge on the back deck flattens out all the fluctuations.

I have also added to white shields (wings :lol: ) to the NE and NW sides of the weather station to minimize early morning and late afternoon irradiation impacts before the north facing solar panel gets a chance to get the fan running in the unit. I feel a modification could happen later with two extra Pv panels (even from a old garden light would do) facing NE and NW.

It took me a few years to iron out my offgrid system and get accurate data logging that's set and forget now. I guess it will be the same for the weather station.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:58 am

I woke up yesterday to the normal sounds and sights of kookaburras and magpies. Though this time they had a brand new perch to spot worms from..my weather station :(

One kookaburra was even cheeky enough to land on the wind speed buckets and spin round and round :lol: all I could do is laugh as the birds played musical chairs with my weather station. Then I spotted one magpie using the rain gauge as a toilet was the final straw.

Several 1mm thick SS tig welding filler wire rods later along with some twisting cutting and manipulation I think I have it sorted. The trick was to try and create a spiky deterrent that would have little to no impact on the rain gauge and do the same with the wind cups. The birds gave it a miss this morning so must have worked.

I also added some weight to the wind direction vane. I was finding at times with very mild wind speed combined with disturbed air at the location it was just to sensitive. I was getting way to erratic wind direction plots. The weight has helped a lot to tighten the graph up a bit. Though I still just have to expect less than perfect wind direction graphs in the disturbed air location.

Having to run a windows pc running 24/7 was a consideration being offgrid. My little mini pc (that's getting a little long in the tooth at 9 years old) was very efficient at the time (20 - 30W) but by today's standards it's terrible.

I had a 7" windows 10 tablet that I was given as it had a bad internal lithium battery and would shut down (even when externally powered) after a few mins. I removed the internal battery for safety and soldered a USB cord to the BMS terminals.Then drilled a small hole in the back cover to run the USB cord out and I can now power it from a tiny 5v 1A USB wall plug (phone charger)

The amazing thing is when this windows 10 pc is running the logging software and uploading it over WiFi it consumes 2.8W with the screen on and 1.5W when the screen is turned off. We really are lucky now days this little device most likely has more power than a desk top pc from not that long ago and uses less power than bedside alarm clock. You can pick this kind of thing up new for about $50 at times or even less 2nd hand.

Looks like it will hit around 30C today so things are starting to warm up. Some rain tomorrow and the plants and the weeds :( are loving this combination.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:04 pm

A few loose coils of fishing line is a good deterent. I often have kookaburras or magpies perching on my wind vane too- no doubt it is a great place for spotting lunch!
170mm rain here in Sept, and the weeds are insane, I pulled out a 2m high wild turnip a few days ago. At least the soil is soft, so pulling hundreds of them out by the roots hasn't been too difficult... and there are a lot more to go. I'll have to get stuck into the huge stinging nettle bushes in the chook yard pretty soon too!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Only 340mm of rain total for 2017 at home. Most of that was from two storms in Jan and then more or less nothing. Considering our long term average is 2000mm PA and most of that falls over the summer. It's looking very bad this year to date.

We usually get 300mm each month for Jan, Feb, Mar

Talk about a endless summer to I'm over this 30+ every day . It's like ground hog day.

Perhaps the climate is changing and we will have wet winters now :? It will be interesting to see how it pans out over the year.

offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Off topic chatter