Meter change-over experiences

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Re: Meter change-over experiences

Postby melmik » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:33 am

Hi Icarus, it might come down to how much excess generation you have. If there is enough to cover the hws as well as other standard loads during your generation time, then I'd go with the timer.

We are staying with controlled load 1 off peak for a few reasons - not in order of importance.
1: we only have a small solar system so we currently seem to be covering our standard generation time/daytime loads, but in winter it may be a different matter.
2: we are on TOU tariff and if our loads slip over our solar generation, we will pay hefty shoulder or peak rates.
3: our controlled load kW cost is less than standard off-peak.
4: the little we are currently exporting is at least covering some of the cost of the controlled load off peak. (6c of the 8c/kW cost).

Ideally we would either increase our solar capacity ($$ for new inverter & panels) and move the hws to daytime, or get solar or heat pump hot water. But cost of change is an issue as is tossing a fairly new electric hws.

6-12 months on the new net meters will give us a better idea of how to improve.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:39 am

melmik wrote:... get solar or heat pump hot water. But cost of change is an issue as is tossing a fairly new electric hws.

You dont have to ditch the existing HWS, just add a bolt-on heat pump or a 24 tube evacuated tube manifold, and connect to the original system.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby melmik » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks Gordon, that sounds interesting. I've been reading reviews on heat pumps and there are some very mixed feelings as to their quality or longevity. Sanden seem to get the best reviews. Have you had much experience (or feedback) with them?

Evac tube could be an option, but like adding extra panels would have to sit on our west facing section of roof, which is partly shaded in winter. So would need to be boosted.

Plus the tank, while only a few years old, has a limited lifespan.

Plus we need to weigh it up against the 45c a day ($164/year) the OP controlled load currently costs (not counting daily access charge or any net export tradeoff).

Like with our solar system, finances (or FIT financial gains) were not our major consideration, but they are of some consequence. Same with our gas stove (actually multifuel) - I'd much rather use the most environmentally friendly solution, but I tend to use things until they break, then fix them until they cannot be fixed. Then replace them with something better.

And there always seems to be something better "just about to be released".
Cheers
Michael
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:37 pm

I've heard good reports on the Sanden HPs, and have contacted the company regarding their performance in low temps. They use CO2 as the refrigerant which gives them a very good COP/EER at low ambient temperatures. However, they don't do bolt-ons.
If you did add a HP or evac tubes, you can keep using the old tank until it dies, then get a stainless steel tank, which should last a long time. Evacuated tubes can certainly last many years, my oldest ones are nearly 9 years old and still performing well, although one tube has lost its vacuum due to large hail a couple of years ago. With modest HW usage for 2 or 3 people, 24 or 30 evacuated tubes should supply all the hot water you need for well over 300 days per year, and you can use the existing heating element in cloudy periods that last more than a day or 2.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Icarus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks melink ,
Summer I am pretty much covered by the 30 evac tubes , I have a few issues with the system but , it is along run from the tubes on the north facing roof (12 meters of pipe) to the tank , so it suffers significant losses in winter . I am going to put additional lagging around the pipes to see if it helps . Also the north roof gets some shading from a large gum tree for 6 weeks in winter from 10am till 3pm which also reduces efficiency . So I need to run the off peak from April till Sept depending on the weather .
I am think now I will wait 12 months to see what my energy generation and usage stats are to get an idea of my needs for more panels , batteries ect .
Icarus
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:40 am

Just an update for those polyphase customers in NSW/Origin getting an Atlas Mk10d nett meter.

Ours has been in since 22/2/17

There are a few meter codes that seem to be crosschecks of other readings.

INtL = net solar kW you export.
This is the total of the three INL readings, which are net generated and not used on each phase. I assume there will be only one INL reading (INL1) if you have a single phase inverter. Ifyou have a 3-phase inverter you might have readings on all three INL codes. See link for explanation.

https://www.queenslandsolarandlighting. ... -property/

EHtL = net kW imported into your property from the grid.
This totals the three EHL readings, which are cumulative loads on each of your phases. (EHL1, 2and 3).

INP1 is your inverter gross generation before it is used in your house.

So with some basic maths you could use INP1 minus INtL to give you what portion of your generation DID get used to cover your loads thru the day. In my case 120 - 89 = 31kW solar used on property. The 89kW is exported @ 6c/kW.

You can also estimate total household usage by adding the EHtL (60kW) to the 31kW but you'll only pay for the EHtL. Plus any hot water on off peak controlled loads.

Hope this helps!
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Icarus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:24 am

Hi all ,
I had my new meter installed yesterday by the EA contractor .

The meter is an intelliHUB , see pic attached ,
I was just wondering if someone could explian the read out , I can sort of guess some of them .

Thanks .
Attachments
20170331_102342_resized.jpg
20170331_102342_resized.jpg (58.6 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Icarus
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Not a lot of help, but the Landis and Gyr brochure for your meter is here:
http://www.landisgyr.com/webfoo/wp-cont ... ochure.pdf
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby GarnZ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:38 am

GarnZ wrote:Here is briefly what I suspect about this whole charade about suppliers offers to public, regarding payment for solar energy, hence, the question, should we go to "Net" or stay with Gross metering?

All suppliers are arranging third parties or agents to make recommendations to the user that they virtually sign up to a fictitious contract to ensure they don't lose customers during this interim period of "No-information". They seem to have formed a cartel requiring that....no supplier is to offer too much for the user supplying solar energy to the grid.

Their objective is to then procrastinate... sit and wait to see how many will convert to "net" or stay "gross", with a bonus source of electrical supply, for which they will pay a pittance.

RegardZ.
PS..No correspondance from EA as yet!

Relevant to my previous post above...
I do not envy the Authority that has to sort out the existing retail/ wholesale problem which is currently being exhibited with different companies giving different discounts and most importantly non-standard meters.
I believe, the question of ownership of meters has not yet been sorted. I'm wondering if the various meters will conform to the requirements of the plethora of retailers regarding meter remote readings. Has anyone been required to pay for new meters as yet?

I have recently received an invitation to take up my account with AGL, as a special offer for seniors, I have yet to receive any word from my current retailer EA.
RegardZ
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Icarus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks Gordan .

Ganz , my installer told me that EA now leases the meters .
I then got an email from Lendlease Group entities about my installation .
I paid nothing up front for the meter installation as to who owns it well that web is getting more and more tangled .
Icarus
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives