My yabbies are gone!

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Re: My yabbies are gone!

Postby jimbo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Well the dam completely dried last year but as soon as it rained they emerged. Must be able to survive in the mud for quite some time.
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm

In broad terms jimbo, if you can get some plants going you'll find they will far exceed any artificial methods you might use to get everything working nicely.

As an example ... I had a half 44, oops sorry 200 litre drum out the back of my house that I keep full of water for birds and other wildlife. In the past the water was ok but slightly murky and only supporting some weak looking brownish algae. I dropped in some reeds and a water lily and while conditions in the tank aren't exactly perfect for plant growth [the the temp. hit 47.5C, thanks to global warming extremes a week back and I make no apology for making that connection] the water is always clear and might even support a few small fish, if that was my goal :) . Dams respond even better.

Plants grow fast and can perform miracles!
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Another thought ... if stock are using the dam but could drink somewhere else, it would be well worthwhile to knock in some steel fence posts and put a single strand electric fence around the dam, There's some good, cheap fence actuators that don't need much power to run. Works especially well if you can pick up an old solar panel to support a slightly less old but not necessarily new, car battery.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Off topic chatter