Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi shay neo and newtosolar..

I am the wrong person to ask prices.... I do most things myself or with the help of my nephew who is really knowledgeable....

New to solar. To me $850 seems like a good price if the unit is true 10kva continuous... Note this is the 48vot one.

Shay neo, I guess you might need to buy the power Jack LF series for the $500 odd that they sell them for on eBay and hope you get a good one!

Sorry I really can't be any more help that
N that. I am not a repairer and I try not to give too much advice about what to buy as this is really a personal choice and if you get a bodgy then sometimes you might ink you got bad advice!

I hope you go well.

Please let us know how you go!

Cheers.

Graham.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby shayneo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks Graham ! Will do, let ya know how it goes !

Regards.
Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi all,
I promised feedback on the 3kva unit I brought from China on Alibaba.
It far exceeded my expectations.
The standby current at 48 volts was only .63 amps in the on mode, around 30 watts.
It handled every load I threw at it from the A/C, the clothes drier for extended periods, to the dish washer and washing machine. I even tried my inverter welder on the unit which functioned properly yet refused to run on a 12 kva diesel gen set.
I was not able to get an overload indication until I applied 3.5 kva of load and then only just got an led indication but no audiable alarm and the inverter did not shut down.
The cooling fan rarely ran and the unit remained cool at all times even when powering the clothes drier for 3 hours !
I noticed there was no choke between the heatsink and transformer so would need this to reverse grid tie.
I was unable to shrink pictures enough to upload so I'll try again at a later time.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Jimbo007 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi all,
I promised feedback on the 3kva unit I brought from China on Alibaba.
It far exceeded my expectations.
The standby current at 48 volts was only .63 amps in the on mode, around 30 watts.
It handled every load I threw at it from the A/C, the clothes drier for extended periods, to the dish washer and washing machine. I even tried my inverter welder on the unit which functioned properly yet refused to run on a 12 kva diesel gen set.
I was not able to get an overload indication until I applied 3.5 kva of load and then only just got an led indication but no audiable alarm and the inverter did not shut down.
The cooling fan rarely ran and the unit remained cool at all times even when powering the clothes drier for 3 hours !
I noticed there was no choke between the heatsink and transformer so would need this to reverse grid tie.
I was unable to shrink pictures enough to upload so I'll try again at a later time.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby sulphur1 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:21 am

Wondering if anyone has bought the latest PSW7 from bit deals or others on eBay that advertise 25W idle current / 95% efficiency.
This suggests it now uses a toroidal transformer??? I've emailed a number of sellers who claim they don't know.
The units look similar to Shenzen Sumry etc produced ones on Alibaba.
Cheers
Jon
sulphur1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 am

They all look similar on the outside and you can't tell what transformer is in them unless the manufacturer specifies or you can see inside to know what you're getting. My first W7 was bought from Bit Deals and was.advertised as you said. It was 24 volt 3000 watt unit and draw was.around 25 watts in power save mode but rose to a horrific 125 watts in on mode with no load. It worked well apart from this. It uses the old EI style transformer and produced a fair amount of heat from this transformer.
The one I replaced it with as detailed earlier draws around 30 watts in the on mode with no load and probably less than 10 watts average in power save mode. It stayed cool almost all the time and could not be forced to generate anywhere near the heat the old unit priduced just on no load.
Beware of Bit Deals, once they've got your money. they don't want to know you. They will not help you with spare board sets either.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby sulphur1 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks Jimbo007
Appreciate your comment. Looks like Alibaba is the go as none advertised with toroidal transformer.
Cheers
Jon
sulphur1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 am

You're welcome Jon.
the one from Sumry performed better than the specification promised and was very clean inside. No "spare parts" as found in some of the lesser W7's.
Cheers Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby shayneo » Fri May 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi all ! Does anyone know were you possibly buy parts for a Powerstar W7 micro process controller, I think it is called ?

Hi ya Graham !! Shayneo here, Sorry I have not been bac intouch with you mate !!! I just put in the to hard basket,at the time & was really annoying to me, words cannot explain how I felt, when I foundout, that is is probably "BIN MATERIAL" !!? Plus I was busy working mate & at the time was over it !! In some ways still are, very peeved with the Chinese !! lucky I have got a very fuel efficient 15Kva gen.

So Last time we chatted you mentioned something about a Power jack LF series.

Is that an inverter or something that may get mine up & running ?
Cheers Graham !
Shayneo.
shayneo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:22 am

Shayneo,
I know you didn't ask for my opinion but the people at Sumray ( see my earlier POST ) are happy to sell both control and output boards at reasonable prices. Just specify what voltages in and out you require as well as output power.
Hope this helps you.
Jim.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance