Hot water tank degenerative disease

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Hot water tank degenerative disease

Postby australsolarier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 am

tytower,
i understand you have been on this forum here less than a month. your rant against david was totally unnecessary and absolutely uninformed.
just saying
Last edited by australsolarier on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:02 am

That would put them back in the days almost of each cell being tar sealed in a very hard case and replaceable.

Clear plastic with rubber seals. The plates were still ok after the 35 years but a couple of cases cracked. Even avoiding sunlight, I think that's probably inevitable. The other "weak point" might be that the seals were pretty stuffed after all that time and hence there was more than the usual acid around the tops of the cells. I think I'm right in saying the very earliest of these cells were in glass cases but that was a hell of a long time ago ... would have been scary!! The only "secret" has been to keep the batteries above 90 [mostly 95]% of their capacity. I suspect that lead-acid might be more durable than VRLA but I don't have enough personal experience to be sure.

Thanks to everyone who's helped here. I probably shouldn't have had a go at tradies when most of the time they do good work. I'd certainly be happy to have davidg install equipment anytime if I was in the market for it. He's clearly very thorough.

Jules
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Helipos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:25 am

Jules I'm not sure on your physical attributes, but would it be worth getting on the roof at night to feel for anything obviously hot?
Helipos
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:43 am

Jules I'm not sure on your physical attributes

:D I heard a recommendation on the radio about a month back that people over 50 shouldn't climb ladders, which I think is setting the bar pretty low! Perhaps people under 20 should be ruled out too, on grounds of immaturity?

More to the point, I've steered clear of the hot water tank problem for the moment because with the power off it's working fine in the heat of summer [47C last weekend]. Your suggestion is an essential part of sorting out the problem. While I'm not closing off any options I'm less certain that a reverse syphon could be causing the problem. The insulated pipe that would feed back to the roof panels does get warm but I think this is just heat conducted from the top of the tank. The pipe temp. drops off very quickly as the distance from the tank increases, so even a couple of metres away from the tank, it's only mildly warm. The other thing is that the hot water is very hot and I would have thought that if there was a syphon in action, it would be cooling it down. A half dozen counter arguments occur to me but they can wait.

Thanks for the suggestion Helipos. I will find a solution to this before winter and I'll report back here.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics