Off grid solar setup

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Off grid solar setup

Postby DzigNZ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am

I've been running my 4048MSD for about a year now without any problems with it. I'm in a similar situation to you, where we bought a farm with no grid connection, so just need to run a fridge while we're not there and then provide power through the weekend when we are there.

My only gripe with it, is the inability to equalise the batteries, and after inquiries with MPP Solar, it's not possible to add a separate controller further down the track, as the unit can not support voltages over 60V (caps rated to 63V)
Also since I'm running FLA batteries, I've had to add a scheduled load to consume some power to force a bulk charge (fridge by itself doesn't use enough) so the batteries don't stratify :oops:

If you're interested, I've written some Ruby scripts running on a Raspberry Pi connected to the PIP which push data into AWS so it can be monitored remotely. Gives some peace of mind being able to check up on things, AWS charges around $11/month for the small amount of usage.

DzigNZ
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Off grid solar setup

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:43 pm

I have a 4048 that we swapped the 63v caps out for 84v from memory (could have been 100v was a few years ago)

The voltage set point scope out of the factory is geared towards SLA and GEL cells so nothing over 60v.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance