How to harness an 80 Volt panel

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

How to harness an 80 Volt panel

Postby Bob James » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:14 am

I have an 80 volt output panel capable of about 7 amps.
I have a 24 Volt system of lights and batteries .
How do I get the 80V down to 24V efficiently so I can connect it to my charge controller ?
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed spelling in subject
Bob James
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: How to harness an 80 Volt panel

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:41 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Bob :)

When you say 80V panel, is that Voc or Vmp?

In any case, you need an MPPT charge controller, which will step down the panel voltage to the battery voltage. You need to make sure it has a high enough maximum input voltage to handle your panel in cold weather, so Voc + say 5V.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Bob James » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:41 pm

No idea . Thats about 80V on the mutimeter with nothing connected ,does that help?
Bob James
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:00 pm

That will be Voc, ie open circuit voltage. Aren't there any specs on the back of the panel?
If Voc = 80V, then Vmp might be over 60V, and at 7A, that's one mightly powerful panel!
What brand and model is it?

Take care when handling 80VDC, it can give you a nasty shock if you make contact with + and -.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby APR » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Welcome Bob.

As a matter of interest, what is the length and what is the width of the panel?
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lantern » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 am

And how many cells?
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bob James » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Well I didn't remember that right did I so I am out on that I guess it must be about 1 amps max . Get myself confused with these things sorry. Stll the problem is how to use it with a 24 Volt system
Its a bit wet out now so I'm not going up to look at the back . I had to build a frame round it to fix it on the roof.
Using breakthrough technology, First Solar's FS-272 CdTe thin film solar panel incorporates advanced thin film technology to improve solar panel efficiency. Common applications include commercial and residential grid-tied solar systems.
Engineering Excellence:High solar panel efficiency for an outstanding balance of size and weight to power and performance.
Superior light absorption which maximizes performance and higher power in hot climates and cloudy conditions compared to crystal silicon cell modules.
Nominal Voltage: 66.6 Volts Pmax
Maximum System Voltage: 1000 Volts
12kg 1200mm x 600mm x 6.8mm (4' x 2' x 1/4" Approx)
Frameless
Connector: MC3 for both panels and combiner box
First Solar FS-272 PV Solar Panel 72 Watt Thin Film CdTe Photovoltaic Cell
Bob James
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:34 am

As I mentioned earlier, you will need an MPPT charge controller to use that panel with a 24V battery.
Just make sure it can handle >80V input.
There are many different brands available, but you do tend to get what you pay for with this sort of gear. El-cheapo junk from ebay may only be PWM type, rather than MPPT, despite the claims in some advertising.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby davidg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:El-cheapo junk from ebay may only be PWM type, rather than MPPT, despite the claims in some advertising.

Gordon is being too diplomatic ..... El-cheapo is almost always PWM and more often than not, total crap.

About the cheapest that works properly is a brand from china called EP-Solar which for what they are is pretty good, for simple system/s there not a bad option they generally have an input of 100Vdc and some of their unit's have an input of 150Vdc. Otherwise for quality brand names consider Midnite Solar or Outback Power and there are others.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics