Remote solar panel control

Support forum for the Energy Matters Solar Analyser; a FREE solar power site evaluation tool for the iPhone and iPod Touch that provides full solar site analysis (Australia only)!

Remote solar panel control

Postby Procon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:53 am

Three years ago our house was fitted with an EDMI Mk7A Smart Single Phase Two-Element Electronic Revenue Meter by our energy supplier to monitor grid imports/exports catering for our 3kW PV panel array.
In recent months, for some unidentified reason the PV array switches off and the LCD advises that we no longer have grid connection. This happens during daytime with good sunshine although power from the grid is still available to meet our domestic demand.
When this first started I powers down the solar system and ‘rebooted’ without much success. More recently I have just left things alone and after various periods the PV array comes back on line. So we assume there is no general power outage or maintenance work in play.
We are still fortunate to be getting a reasonable feed in rate much the same as the kWh we buy.

Question: Can the energy company randomly select which solar panels they choose to accommodate with such a meter?
Procon
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 am

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby davidg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Procon wrote:In recent months, for some unidentified reason the PV array switches off and the LCD advises that we no longer have grid connection.

Grid voltage too high possibly, worth checking
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
User avatar
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 8:38 pm
Location: Dandenong VIC- GRID - Power Retailers are a pain

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby Procon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 am

Many thanks Davidg. I will keep an eye on that issue. When operating the KLNE 3000 Inverter AC output voltage seems to vary between 252 and 254V ever since it was commissioned by the electrical contractor back in 2013 which seems a tad high to me but that is more or less what our grid supply registers at.
Unfortunately we have an ongoing non responsive issue with our electrical contractor over what happened to any rebate, discount or RECs we were entitled to plus questions as to who actually signed the REC forms on our behalf is still to be answered, so asking them to come service the system is likely to be a waste of time
Procon
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 am

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby davidg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Procon wrote:KLNE 3000 Inverter

The importer seller of these evaporated quite sometime ago, so there's no support for these at all anymore.
You need to know the actual specs of the inverter so you know what it's actual voltage operating range is. The reason why they went away was the shear qty of warranties that wound up coming back they went into administration and that was that.

However ACL (Australian Consumer Law) means that the business that actually supplied the unit assuming they still exist under that name and have not gone bust carry the can for warranty assuming it is still in whatever warranty you were offered at the time. #just so you know.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
User avatar
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 8:38 pm
Location: Dandenong VIC- GRID - Power Retailers are a pain

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby Procon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Your comments have been invaluable davidg. OK KLNE's Australian supplier has gone bust as you say but KLNE Beijing may still be operating. If we can pin point the problem directly to the inverter we will try for refund directly as that is where we purchased it (5 year warranty ).

Attached are the extracts from their spec and an edited fault page we sent KLNE last year around this time. Apart from the Etotal which is now over 14MWh since installation other details are currently much the same.

Can you please comments on this attached data and can we safely rule out any tinkering by the energy supply company?

Regards

Mike Ives
Attachments
Readings 2016.jpg
Apart from Etotal all now much the same details
Troubleshoot - all OK.jpg
KLNEs troubleshooting tips - all check out OK
Troubleshoot - all OK.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Voltages.jpg
Specified voltages - current PV is 417V and Bus 417V
Voltages.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Procon
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 am

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby davidg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Procon wrote:we will try for refund directly as that is where we purchased it (5 year warranty ).

Good luck but I think it's flogging a dead horse.

Procon wrote:Attached are the extracts from their spec and an edited fault page we sent KLNE last year around this time.


It depends, however once the supplier importer in AUS went away, none to my knowledge to date has had any warranty dealt with unless it was via the business that installed it. I believe and I could easily be wrong that the importer at the time likely put a 5 year warranty on them but the actual manufacturer in China may well have only put 12months on them. This where the issue become very murky indeed, a manufacturer in another country is not under any obligation of any sort to honour a warranty that was invented in Australia, in fact if a manufacturer/supplier in another country decide not to honour warranty in Australia there is actually nothing we can do about it, unless they have direct local representation. Another country is not bound by ACL at all.

They will likely loose all business here particularly if there are approvals required, but often times they really don't care, even it appears under some other brand name it's not the same product then. Note: KLNE is not sold at all in Australia anymore since the importer went away nor is there any current approval for them either.

The DC operating range is fine 110Vdc to 480Vdc if the array is within that, then it is correct although it preferable under load for it be around 400Vdc ideally, rarely will be, but as close to possible is better. However it has nothing to do with grid disconnect issues it's the nominal grid voltage range that counts, I would assume it's highly unlikely to be outside of those particularly the high end of 280Vac there for it's a good chance without looking inside that grid relay has failed, apparently was a very common issue.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
User avatar
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 8:38 pm
Location: Dandenong VIC- GRID - Power Retailers are a pain

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby Procon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks yet again davidg. Yes we are not holding our breath with KLNE coming to the party. They told us last year, when a similar thing happened and the PV array was off line for a whole month, that it was not an inverter problem and we feel they are likely to do the same again.
Sounds like we need a new inverter fitted. Any suggestions as to a competent sparky in our vacinity (Cygnet Tasmania)?

Kind regards

Mike
Procon
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 am

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby davidg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Procon wrote: Any suggestions as to a competent sparky in our vacinity (Cygnet Tasmania)?

Is there an agent or an energy matters office down there.

I'd hate to suggest someone else when we are their forums, that would be a conflict of interest.
If there's no conflict then that would be different.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
User avatar
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader
 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 8:38 pm
Location: Dandenong VIC- GRID - Power Retailers are a pain

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:59 am

EM doesn't operate a Lauceston office any more, but they have installers all over the place.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
User avatar
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator
 
Posts: 5323
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: Loomberah NSW Australia

Re: Remote solar panel control

Postby Procon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks folks. I am talking to Energy Matters right now re a quote.
Procon
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 am


Return to Solar Analyser Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

new solar power specials