A Small Introduction + insulation discussion

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

A Small Introduction + insulation discussion

Postby ReeceCollins » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi I am Reece Collins, from Victoria, Australia. I have worked as a principal consultant at an energy consultancy centre for many years. I surveyed many buildings over the years, audited the energy efficiency and consulted architects, designers, builders and home owners helping them to improve the energy efficiency and getting highest home energy rating which is 6 star in Victoria. All these years of working experience has given me the insights as well as made me more concerned about our existing energy storage, consumption rate and whatever the future holds for us.

So I am here to learn more about what people who are interested in this area, think about energy and may be share my ideas if I can.
Thanks!
ReeceCollins
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: A Small Introduction

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Reece :)

That sounds like interesting work, but please note this is not a forum for advertising commercial web sites ;)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby ReeceCollins » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Understood.
Thanks. :)
ReeceCollins
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby tom rickard » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi. My personal experience is that it is far more cost effective to build a well sited, modestly insulated dwelling, and use energy storage and PV to power R/C airconditioning as required.

I cannot see the point in spending $20k plus to achieve an insulation level that will still require some form of heating and cooling. (our area this year saw maximum temp of 46deg, and minimum of -7deg)

Even on the hottest days you can still vent in outside air to maintain freshness in the house, it is no extra cost to run the thermostat on the A/C very low to get your desired temperature.

In a house relying just on insulation, you aren't able to have fresh air circulation, which is what a lot of people don't like about R/C airconditioning in the first place. I can't really see the point.

Even in a house that is grid connected, i'd be interested to see a professional survey done on the cost of retro-fitting insulation, vs fitting a stand-alone R/C airconditioning system including PV /storage / inverter with the aim of maintaining temp between 20 and 25deg.
tom rickard
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby GarnZ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:29 pm

tom rickard wrote: Even on the hottest days you can still vent in outside air to maintain freshness in the house, it is no extra cost to run the thermostat on the A/C very low to get your desired temperature.

I think you have a good point Tom.
Fresh air is an important and necessary ingredient in the whole scheme of energy for comfort.
RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:53 pm

tom rickard wrote:Even on the hottest days you can still vent in outside air to maintain freshness in the house, it is no extra cost to run the thermostat on the A/C very low to get your desired temperature.

BTW there is no point in turning an A/C down lower than the desired temp, they simply don't work that way. Once you've chosen the temp you want they will try there hardest to get there, turning it down lower will not make cool faster. #just saying
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:32 am

Here's an interesting article on the current obsession with removing all the air leaks in a house:
https://onestepoffthegrid.com.au/seal-n ... roof-home/
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: A Small Introduction + insulation discussion

Postby dax » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:39 am

A properly air tight home, has filtered flow through ventilation. The sealing is designed to restrict dust heat and cold ingestion, trying to make airtight a home not designed for it is very foolish and not thinking about air quality is the sign of someone with no understanding of living.

In a properly airtight home, sensible people grow plants, preferably food plants, which live on Co2 and produce oxygen, increasing the quality of the air. You should never try to make your dwelling air tight, unless it is designed for that purpose, otherwise you will run into all kinds of trouble, Especially if the home is not thermally sealed properly.
dax
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby tom rickard » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:01 pm

The idea of having plants in your home is a good one. I've spent a bit of time in Cooper Pedy living in a cave house, and there are many people there that incorporate a "plant room", with grow lights and plants for the reason of improving air quality. They also have outside air ventilation, but it doesn't take much time for the house to warm up if you are allowing 40+ degree air to flow through your cave.

Thanks for that link Gordon.
tom rickard
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:55 pm

It seems as though Reece only stayed long enough to post with a link to his business, but has not been back again since to participate in the discussion.

Indoor plants are great, but if you want food producing plants you will need to supply a lot of suitable high intensity lighting, which will heat the area up somewhat, not to mention use up a considerable amount of energy, which is rather inefficient considering free sunlight is available outside.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Introduce yourself