Help Reading First Solar Bill

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Help Reading First Solar Bill

Postby astroboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:42 am

Hi,

Need some help reading our first electricity bill. We have a 5KW PV system and solar hot water. I am wondering how the solar generated electricity supply is being calculated, see picture. We only have a 5c feed in tariff, but it seems we are being charged for the solar power generated, then later being given the feed in credit? The main meters are:
HW- Hot Water this looks ok
CS - Seems to be the main supply?
Sol L+P - Seems to be solar supply

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Attachments
img001.jpg
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed spelling in subject, again
astroboy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Help Reading First Solar Bill

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am

>>see picture

I think you forgot to attach the picture
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Heelp Reading First Solar Bill

Postby astroboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:03 am

Should be fixed...
astroboy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:29 am

First of all, I'll just say that I haven't had to look at one of these since 1991 :)

Did you change from an all-day fixed rate to TOU half way through the billing period, or perhaps the other way around?

There appear to be two 58 day periods, I assume the increased daily supply charge is for the 2nd half of the period, when you went to TOU? (Or perhaps you went from TOU back to a fixed rate? hard to say from what I can see there)

Does meter B1115155 have 2 registers? It appears to have 861.341kWh of PV generation, for which you have been credited $43.07.
The 2nd register on that meter appears to have had its readings divided into 2, approximately, as it doesn't quite add up, half peak, and half off-peak.

I have no idea what a Double Up Discount might be.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby astroboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks for the clarification, I had a bit of a blank when I first saw the different meter readings. The bill is for a single two month period, beginning 20 Septemeber. I now see what looks like the solar energy generated 861KW/hr. The other two solar readings look like peak and off peak consumed, but they seem to be identical. Also, I seem to have been charged for two 58 day supply periods, as you said. I will probably have to phone the energy company for an explanation.

Regards, Bob
astroboy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby astroboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:45 pm

The supply company confirmed we have been double charged!!

Bob
astroboy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Very strange, whilst some items appear to be doubled up (but hey you got a 5% double up discount for the double charging!) others aren't. It will be interesting to see what the replacement statement looks like.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics