Inverter swap-over

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Inverter swap-over

Postby redeye » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:40 pm

My (2nd) EverSolar TL1500 inverter has stopped working. Luckily when the 1st one died they kindly sent me 2 new ones...so I have a spare one to swap out for the failed 2nd one.
I'm up to speed with the shut-down procedure but am unsure about the physical disconnection of the system. I haven't opened the carton but am assuming the plugs are the same, so.....do I need to turn off the dc isolation switch at the panels as well as the dc iso switch beside the inverter (added safety?), but mostly, can the panels be damaged by disconnecting them while they are still generating i.e. should l do it at night?
redeye
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Inverter swap-over

Postby davidg » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:19 am

redeye wrote:I haven't opened the carton but am assuming the plugs are the same, so.....do I need to turn off the dc isolation switch at the panels as well as the dc iso switch beside the inverter (added safety?), but mostly, can the panels be damaged by disconnecting them while they are still generating i.e. should l do it at night?

Assuming everything is plugs then your all good to go. BUT if there is any hard-wiring then legally you are supposed to get an electrician to do the job.

Panels don't care there open circuit. Ensure there is no load at when disconnecting and reconnecting.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Inverter swap-over

Postby redeye » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:16 pm

fixed