NSW ~ What's Happening Jan 2017

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Re: NSW ~ What's Happening Jan 2017

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:19 pm

This is a current days use vs generation. Ignore the 0 values at the left hand 7.30 am- they were just used to give me a difference between the meter readings.

use-vs-gen---nov-17.jpg

These are my rates;
Charges: Charges: Peak Usage Energy Use 45.43 c/kWh
Off-Peak Usage Energy Use 9.56 c/kWh
Shoulder Usage Energy Use 17.06 c/kWh
Controlled Load Off-Peak 1 Energy Use 7.76 c/kWh
Supply Charge 74.70 c/Day
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:43 pm

melmik wrote: Slight advantage is over the period they continue to pay for every kW produced and a net vs gross calculation.

OK, I can see what you are missing out in your calculations - whilst you are getting say 6c (or even 20c ATM, which changes the calcs a bit) for your entire PV production, you continue to pay TOU rates for *everything* you use.

So the way I see it is that on net we would only get 6c for the DIFFERENCE (gen minus usage = export) in kW over the hours where generation is higher than usage. While on gross we get 6c for every kW generated.

Correct

And we pay the same for usage on either.

This is the important bit! ;) You do pay the same for your usage, but on a Net FiT, your usage will be less, by the amount your PV system is producing. What you forego in 6c/kWh exports, you gain by not importing at 45.43c (incl GST?), so on a Net FiT you will be well ahead in savings.

Controlled Load Off-Peak 1 Energy Use 7.76 c/kWh

I don't see any HWS loads overnight in your graph, is it electric boosted solar after a sunny day?
Also, there is only about 5kWh of energy use showing, but I think you mentioned earlier that you used 12kWh/day?

The savings will become more significant if you can move your loads to when your system is producing output (no need to get up (or on timer) at 4am for the washing).

So, receive 6c/kWh and pay them 17 or 45c/kWh for what you are using, OR receive nothing for what you use, but also pay nothing (free* electricity!) if you produce it yourself on a Net FiT.

I'd think about putting a smaller element in your HWS so that you can run it through the middle of the day, essentially for free, or of course you could buy a heat pump, and be able to use it over a longer portion of the day for free, but at a significant up-front cost.

It makes no financial sense to be importing grid energy when you could be using your own output, so long as your FiT is less than what they are charging per kWh - and I suspect that is always the case for residential, as the off-peak rate is well above 6c/kWh.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Ahhh, thanks! I was missing that the generation thru some of the day effectively cancels out the useage, so no peak etc charged when gen exceeds usage (and maybe a small FIT).

I was stuck in an in/out mindset.

The HWS is controlled load 1, so it is turned on by Ausgrid when they consider it off peak. It mostly runs in the early morning 5am ish thru to 7.30am. Daylight saving times. It is pure electric, not boosted solar.

Sorry, That chart is dodgy - only has main meter usage, which is about 4.4kW. HWS meter adds 4.7kW over 2 hours

I'll send chart again

Thanks for your patience and explanation - much appreciated!
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Here is graph with OPHW added in. The original was mainly trying to find where 'normal' loads were so that i could actually move some without major structural changes or expense - such as clothes washing timing.

The hot water sure adds a bump to the usage.

new.jpg
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives