Hello from Murrumbateman

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

Hello from Murrumbateman

Postby Becisme » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:56 am

G'day all,

My name is Bec and my boyfriend and I are currently building on 6 and a half acres in Murrumbateman, NSW (a village about 30km north of Canberra). We are initially starting out with a large (12x18m) shed and 100m2 granny flat with the view to build the main house a couple of years down the track.

Here seeking some reviews and advice about different solar systems as my research so far has left me with more questions then answers.

Look forward to chatting with you on the other boards.

Cheers
Bec
Becisme
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Hello from Murrumbateman

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Bec :)
Lots of space for a good sized solar system there!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby APR » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Becisme wrote:G'day all,

... starting out with a large (12x18m) shed and 100m2 granny flat with the view to build the main house a couple of years down the track.

G'Day Bec, will you be on-grid or off-grid?
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Becisme » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:38 am

That's what I'm trying to explore at the moment as far as options go. The idea of never having to deal with electricity companies ever again is very very appealing! At the same time, not having any power if our system fails to keep up with us while we are trying to raise a young family is not appealing at all. Trying to work out whats gonna be cost effective and reliable, and figure out where that neat fit is for us.
Becisme
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby APR » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:44 am

Becisme wrote:That's what I'm trying to explore at the moment as far as options go.

Do you have grid power right to the block? How far from the house is a connection point to the grid?
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:13 pm

Offgrid power can be extremely reliable. I reckon my own supply has been more reliable [over more than 30 years] than a grid system would have been for the same period. [It's certainly been cheaper, though that's another story]. It's probably a good idea to design system with some form of back-up that can keep your lights and fridge going if, for example, your inverter was to fail. Most of the parts of a solar system aren't likely to give you a sudden, surprise failure. Batteries and panels rarely fail unless they're mistreated. Inverters and other electronic gadgets can fail without warning but again, the better quality stuff rarely fails.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Becisme » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:36 pm

We do have grid power to the block, and we would have to run cabling from the box about 180m up to the building envelope. My only real concern going off grid is that in Canberra during the winter months our level and quality of sunlight are woeful. Based on the calculators I have found so far, even with a 10kw system and the largest residential system I could find (I think it was a 12kwh battery) we would still have to rely on an external power source 20% of the time. That's a lot of generator power!

I just typed a massive post explaining the ins and outs of our scenario, and then my internet shit itself and i've lost the lot! :x I'll try again!
Becisme
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Becisme » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Becisme
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Introduce yourself