repair of the induction cooking stove

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

repair of the induction cooking stove

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:31 am

some 8 years ago i bought an induction cook top. it was made in germany and costed about 1700$. this was with view of that ending of the grid feed tariff and going island. the cooktop is very nice to cook with, responding quickly and has excellent regulation. the only draw back is the illumination of the controls when no direct light falls on it. i simply can't see it.
so about a year ago it refused to start up first go. i had to turn it on and off a few times, but once turned on, it worked. this turning on and off took more and more cycles. so after about 100 cycles needed i rung up the dedicated repairers. they wanted to charge 100$ just to come and look. well i knew it doesn't work. so they let me bring it to them. they quoted the repair as 820$ as "2 circuit boards were blown". admittedly those circuit boards come with a hefty price. so i paid them the 40$ for the quote and took it back home again.

i had previously done some research on googles and youtube and came across some other people repairing similar models. so naturally i opened the thing, ca 50 screws and 9 cable plugs to get at the circuit boards. before it was all apart i noticed two bloated electrolytic capacitors. they were in the switch mode power supplies. this model has two halves each powering two heat rings independently for cooking. and two switch mode power supplies. the capacitors both simultaneously bloated. 1.20$ and two hours later the induction stove worked again like a new one. and have some high quality capacitors on storage when the jay car ones bit the dust.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: repair of the induction cooking stove

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:48 am

The repairers would have made a tidy profit on that job if you let them do it!

My Breville induction hob is still going well after about 6 years, and only cost $145 at the time. These days you can buy various similar units for well under $100, so I'd never even consider buying a 4 burner cooktop that costs $thousands. In any case, since I only run a 7kW inverter I could never use all the "burners" on high at the same time - some of those units are rated at 10-12kW and need to be hard wired on their own circuit.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: repair of the induction cooking stove

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:12 pm

the circuit boards from memory were about 270$ online. (if they repaired the two electrolytic capacitors they probably could have charged 400$ for 2 hours work and 1.20$ expense. but it would have required them to take the thing apart with the 50 screws and have a look inside. mind you the E6 fault meant communication problem between boards. hence they presumed two boards "blew to smitherins". but it can mean many other things, like for example a communication wire disconnected. incidentally the capacitors still had half the rated capacity when i measured them with the multimeter.
suppose i am still from the old school and like good quality things repaired.

yes if i turn on everything i will have overload too. the burners have different sizes, so depending the pan i use i use a different sized hob. i suppose if you have ten children and 20 relatives come to visit you might have to use all burners and the oven and the electric hot water heater. well, the hot water tank getting cold would stop them using the showers etc ....... hehehe

i got one of them small cheap induction transportable hobs too. it works alright, but the controls are not very good. like half way down, instead of regulating down it starts to turn on and off. so it boils, then starts to cool down for a while and boiling again.

you can get cheap chinese 4hob induction cooktops for 260$. however my thinking still is, i like to have good quality appliances. and i like them to last for a lifetime.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter