24volt wind generator-rectifier between generator & battery?

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: 24volt wind generator rectifier between generator and ba

Postby australsolarier » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:08 am

windmills
yes i got one in a cardboard box in the attic. it was installed on a 2m pole on top of the highest point of the roof. total waste of money. i estimate the money spent on solar panels at stead would have generated 100x more energy. the only positive thing when it was up on the roof, there was quite a bit of feed back of passer-byes.
being worried about "hammering" batteries in the morning, i think an eastern array of panels would be a much better solution.
but naturally i am still interested in the feedback when the windmills are going. even a negative feedback is positive, at least for other people thinking of installing windmills.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: 24volt wind generator rectifier between generator and ba

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:47 am

I'd still have one up if I hadn't changed my batteries to 52V from 26V, even though it was only the occasional day when there was enough wind to produce anything useful.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: 24volt wind generator-rectifier between generator & batt

Postby australsolarier » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:50 am

Gordon,
can you remember what the ratio of generation between your windmill and the pv panels were?

and i take it, if you were to expand your power generation now you would most likely settle on pv rather than a wind generator?

wind power generation can compete with pv, when you build those large 180m towers with giant wind vanes. and in those dimensions they are definitively a good combination with pv.

or else when you are at the beach of an island with a steady wind or mountain top. but i think even there pv might be more economical. i suppose if you are in the artic circle, pv certainly would be in a disadvantage in the winter.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Generally speaking, for me a 200W PV module would produce hundreds of times more energy than the 200W WTG over a year, and a 200W panel now costs way less than the WTG.
There were occasions when it was heavily overcast and windy during which there was similar output from the WTG as from the 3 or 4kW of PV I had running at the time, but that was only one or 2 days in a year.
One particulalrly windy night I saw a peak of over 750W from the 200W unit, which I was quite impressed by, see: solar-wind-gear/topic5561.html

I'm planning to use the alternators for my pumped stored hydroelectric system, which I'll get finalised one of these days. 2 attempts to get the pipe in place have failed, as it slid back down the hill before I got around to fixing it well enough to prevent that happening. It's going to take multiple anchor points along the length of the pipe, which I'll need to put in place before the next attempt to get the pipe in place, which takes 4 or 5 people here at on once to do the job- it is a very steep slope with ~85m head.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby dax » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:12 pm

australsolarier wrote:Gordon,
can you remember what the ratio of generation between your windmill and the pv panels were?

and i take it, if you were to expand your power generation now you would most likely settle on pv rather than a wind generator?

wind power generation can compete with pv, when you build those large 180m towers with giant wind vanes. and in those dimensions they are definitively a good combination with pv.

or else when you are at the beach of an island with a steady wind or mountain top. but i think even there pv might be more economical. i suppose if you are in the artic circle, pv certainly would be in a disadvantage in the winter.

A small capacity wind generator is only good as a back up for PV, we have a 350w one and it is good when there is no sun for a few days and we live beside the southern ocean, so have lots of wind. But it is only really good to keep us going, not for charging and it sits on a 30m pole on top of a hill.

As Gordan says, PV is the go and the prices they are now, you can get 1000w for less than $1000, a good pack of lifepo4, a lifepo4 dedicated charge controller and an equaliser is all you need to have a constant supply of energy.

if you set up your system with more than one inverter, have your energy storage in 500amp banks you will never be without energy even if part of your system, goes down.
dax
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics