Quote Help - Sunpower vs Trina Panels

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Quote Help - Sunpower vs Trina Panels

Postby IncredibleBulk » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:40 am

Hey all

I'm in the market for a 5kw system at home. Have two quotes currently that I'm trying to weigh up

Origin Energy
$6720
20x 260w Trina panels
Fronius 5kw Inverter
12c feed-in tariff for the first 2 years

Blue Mountains Solar
$9500
15x 327w Sunpower panels
SMA Sunnyboy Inverter

I've done some reading around and the components themselves seem better quality with the BMS quote... but is it really worth almost 3k more and losing the extra 6c feed-in for two years as well?
IncredibleBulk
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Quote Help - Sunpower vs Trina Panels

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:12 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums IncredibleBulk :)

You should clarify that the inverters are compliant with the new regulations that come into force tomorrow, I suspect some models of those brands may not be, which could mean you miss out on STCs.

PM me your details and I'll get someone from EM to give you a quote too.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby IncredibleBulk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:16 pm

So I've gotten a few more quotes and am curious which would seem the "best".... I'm getting conflicting reports about whether the "optimised" SolarEdge system is worth the extra $1000. I am biased towards the Sunpower panels, even if they are more expensive

Solargain

Option 1 – 5.32kW
16x Sunpower 327w
Fronius Primo inverter
$8490

Option 2 – 5.23kW
16x Sunpower 327w
Solaredge with P500 (I'm guessing micro-inverters as it mentions each panel working independantly)
$9490

Option 3 – 5.30kW
20x QCell 265w
Fronius Primo Inverter
Solargain 315L Tube GL Elect hot water system
$9300

-----------

Energy Matters
4.94kW system
19x JA 260w panels
Ingeteam Sun 5TLM inverter
$7710
IncredibleBulk
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:03 pm

I think the P500 is actually an optimiser, rather than a micro-inverter. It finds the MPP of each panel independently, within a string. Microinverters, such as from Enphase, also find the MPP for each panel, but operate on individual panels, not panels as part of a string, and avoid high voltage DC cable runs on the roof.
I think they are best suited to arrays with shading issues, and will help a bit, but shaded (even partially) panels are best avoided if possible, because they wont produce much output. Optimisers mean that one shaded panel doesn't wipe out the whole string's output.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics