What's the latest Solar Home storage

There's more to renewable energy than just wind and solar power - hydro, wave, geothermal to name a few. Discuss these RE alternatives here!

Re: What's the latest Solar Home storage

Postby GarnZ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:26 pm

[Moderator - removed quoting of the entire previous post]

Thanks for the advice "Australsolarier".... as you say .... I was taking the easy way, wanting to be spoon fed.
I guess I was just wanting to do something in the way of "half-hearted" research before my electricity bill start to come in again... probably Jan 2017!
RegardZ.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed excessive quoting
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:26 pm

All of us GROSS FIT folk are wondering just what we are going to do..
All I need is batteries and I can go Off-Grid, but I wonder if it is worth the hassle, given that the grid is outside..
I think that WE are hoping that our electricity suppliers will try offering Battery packages that will allow us to USE our own power, and still stay connected..
The alternative is complete disconnection, which means THEY GET NUFFIN..

I can only suggest that THEY need to hurry up with offers, because I will soon be making the financially irreversible decision..
Once I buy a big capacity battery, and backup generator, I WON'T listening to ANY offers
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:27 pm

Tracker wrote:..
I think that WE are hoping that our electricity suppliers will try offering Battery packages that will allow us to USE our own power, and still stay connected..

Don't hod your breath there is no incentive for them to them to that, so they won't, to expect otherwise at this time is a just pipe dream.

The alternative is complete disconnection, which means THEY GET NUFFIN..

The service charge is still cheaper than having an actual generator. I'd keep the grid for at least the time being, rather shelling out for a generator.

I can only suggest that THEY need to hurry up with offers, because I will soon be making the financially irreversible decision..

Again don't hold your breath, you'll be die waiting.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

The Latest claims for the RedFlow ZCell

Postby Tracker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:49 pm

Now for a brief overview about some of the specifications of the Zcell battery.

Although it has a small footprint is fully modular and scalable up to multiple MW capacities.

Our batteries have the following unique features:

Nominal capacity of 10kWh with up to 5kW under 48V in a compact format, (1000mm long, 500 mm wide and 1150 mm high),
100% Depth of Discharge every day of its life (NO reserved capacity required).
Continues to deliver its entire rated energy output as it ages (unlike a conventional battery),
i.e. it doesn’t lose total storage capacity as it ages, with NO risk of irreversible over-discharge, eliminating the need for oversizing the battery and therefore extra costings,
It comes with a 30MWh Warranty, with expected energy throughput of 40MWh,
Unlimited calendar lifetime and high cycle life (4000 full cycles) makes the ZBM the most economical cycling storage in many use cases,
Has a great recycling story:
At end of life, the battery is also 100% recyclable (electrolyte, can be cleaned and put in a new battery and almost all of the rest of the battery - including the electrodes, is made of recyclable HDPE plastic, with NO Rare Earth materials used).
Unlimited storage with no self-discharge ensures asset value is unaffected even in case of prolonged idleness of the energy system,
High ambient temperature range (without active cooling - just ambient air cooling).
Nominal operation at Internal temperature of up to 50°C allows operation without active ACU cooling, even in outdoor operation in deserts,
No risk of thermal runaway of the technology allows a massive reduction of the safety requirements,
Doesn’t have a fire risk (Bromide electrolyte is a Fire Retardant) and does not need a fire suppression system and thermal management systems,
An optimised bill of material, mainly based on plastic components (up to the electrode plates) ensures strong volume cost reduction potential.

Now we only need the PRICE and the issue of the periodic maintenance cycle.. :cry:

http://www.impress.com.au/newsroom/redflow/2002-redflow-works-with-redback-technology-to-bring-smarter-solar-to-australia.html

At end of life, the battery is also 100% recyclable

And I am still curious as to what is End-Of-Life
Only curious because I assumed that it was near 100% rejuvenatable.. ie.. could be serviced at minimal cost to return to a NEW state.. :idea:
Last edited by Tracker on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: The Latest claims for the RedFlow ZCell

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Tracker wrote:Now we only need the PRICE ...

solar-wind-gear/topic6595-10.html?hilit=redflow#p49366
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks GG.. I have reposted to keep the RedFlow thread UTD..

Only hope is that there are no issues for OUTBACK inverters, which I have chosen to standardise on..

I have to recommend that ANYONE interested in this topic should be subscribed to the newsletter of
http://reneweconomy.com.au/

ALWAYS got what seems the latest info and progress..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Other renewable energy