Re-using old car batteries

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re-using old car batteries

Postby Benny » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 pm

I've been thinking of doing this when my i-Miev batteries need replacing. Seems an obvious thing to do if they go down to 80% capacity and are not needed to be traded in on the new pack. So they'd still be capable of holding about 12kWh - enough for my house for 2 days - apart from re-charging the car.
BMW are now offering this for their i3:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2016/bmw-reveals-home-energy-storage-system-using-i3-ev-battery-packs-22325
I guess the imiev pack will need to be re-arranged to get a suitable output voltage (for charging and running an inverter) ?
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Re: Re-using old car batteries

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 pm

I met a guy local who has picked up several damaged Imievs one of them that could be registered he kept to drive the others he stripped down for there parts. I ended up with tone of the battery boxes. So got a good look at how they are set out inside.

The battery's are very modular and easy to work with. 88 cells all up and each cell is in both shape and overall size they would be slightly smaller than a 18ah AGM cell each. They have two threaded terminal posts on each cell. So a very familiar and simple layout to work with. Not hard to reconfigure to lower voltages say a 300ah 50v system.

That's if they ever wear out :lol: The cells in our Imiev are still ticking along like the day I got it with no loss of range.

For me the car would have to have lost a considerable amount of range for it to be worth pulling the battery out. I would say it would have to be down to 50% capacity or less. That could take many many years.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles