Mains plug-in clock timers?

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Mains plug-in clock timers?

Postby jules » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:16 pm

It seems I've missed something. I went to Jaycar to buy the sort of plug-in clock controlled plug-out gadget [sorry, can't figure out what they should be called :) ] only to find they're no longer legal in NSW!

Two questions ...

Are they legal in other states and

Why were they banned? They were rather useful.

Jules
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Mains plug-in clock timers?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Mains timers banned? I haven't heard about that, and I have been using several LCD mains timers on my aquaponics systems, and they have proved to be very reliable, unlike the mechanical ones with the push-in levers.

Jaycar still list them, such as this one: http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products ... D/p/MS6111

The big B store has stacks of them listed too
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby melmik » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Just checked that product Gordon and it has this in tge description.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: From 28th of April 2016 onwards, this product can no longer be sold to New South Wales customers.

Bizarre. Cant find anything online about a ban.

Cheers
Michael
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:28 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Mains timers banned?

Jaycar still list them,

As does Bunnings, AWM electrical Wholesalers and Masters while there still in business. It might be for that specific item only.

Link to one from Bunnings
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Just found this - it may be product specific based on new srandards. On this site. At bottom of page.

http://goughlui.com/2016/04/10/reverse- ... s-aus1103/

I just heard back from Jaycar who have advised that it cannot be sold in NSW after April 28 due to it not having double pole switching, as the new safety standard will require this. I suppose the requirement for double pole switching seems sensible where customers may inadvertently have appliances wired “backward” especially with exposed metal parts and overseas plug adapters etc to avoid any potential hazard, but should be otherwise safe for most appliances.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks for the update on the reasons for the ban Michael.

I wonder when/if double pole switched timers will become available ... and at what price?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby APR » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:24 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I wonder when/if double pole switched timers will become available ... and at what price?

I have just tested a cheapie from Bunnings of which I have a couple, and they are switched on both the active and neutral... this unit...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-24-hour ... t_p7053377
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't quite get how it's come to pass that NSW has banned an electrical product but other states seemingly have not, as yet. I would have thought the key would be compliance with some sort of Australian standards?
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter

Veteran system, semi retired: 6 X 55W Solarex 12V panels; Fangpusun CC; 6 X 2V, 35 year old 550Ah lead acid flooded cell batteries.
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter