tkosam - solar&wind power from Croatia, Gradisce

Say g'day and tell us a little bit about yourself if you wish. If you have a wind or solar power system, big or small; flaunt its specs here!

tkosam - solar&wind power from Croatia, Gradisce

Postby tkosam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:55 am

Hello,

Im tkosam. I built a light straw bale house. I have two systems. One solar (30w panel & 35Ah battery, 12v system), the othe solar&wind (200w panel, 4 batteries, each 95Ah on 12v, connected serially in order to get 24v, so it is 195 Ah, and 300w wind vertical axis wind turbine, vawt, so it is 24v system). The house is in Croatia, near Samobor, village Gradisce.
Attachments
gradisce2.JPG
Photo of the house
gradisce2.JPG (63.04 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
tkosam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: tkosam - solar&wind power from Croatia, Gradisce

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters forums Tkosam :)

Do you get much energy from your VAWT?

Do you run everything on DC, or do you use an inverter to convert to 220VAC?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby APR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:12 pm

tkosam wrote:Hello.

Hi tkosam, welcome. I looked up your village in Google, and it looks like a very productive farming area. I am interested to see a photo of your wind generator, and wonder how often it makes power for you. Where I am there is not enough regular wind to make a wind generator useful.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tkosam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello,

The wind generator was connected five days ago. There are several issues in the controller area which i dont understand. There is a thing called "wind generator pole logarithm", the default says 10D, and it can go from 1D to 100D. The usb log logs the rotations of the vawt, but no electricity is being charged. This is the wind generator: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-mode ... 53474.html

and this is the regulator:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/800W-24V ... 27582.html

The wire that goes from vawt to the controller is some 25 meters long.

Everything in the house is run on 220v.
tkosam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 pm

VAWTS are relatively inefficient, just try setting it to 10D, and if nothing happens in a decent wind, change it to 5D,30D, 50D, 70D, 90D and see if you get anything at all.
What cross-sectional area is the copper in the 25m wire?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby tkosam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 pm

The cross sectional area of the cable is 6 mm2, there are three wires going out of the wind generator and entering the controller. Each cable is 6 mm2. I'll try setting the pole logarithm today and see what happens. This is what I also had in mind. Also, i sent an email to the chinese seller and waiting for their reply.
tkosam
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby APR » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:25 am

tkosam wrote:There is a thing called "wind generator pole logarithm", the default says 10D, and it can go from 1D to 100D. The usb log logs the rotations of the vawt

Hi tkosam, thinking about this, it will be the poles in the wind generator. You will have another parameter that should be the generator revs per minute at which the controller will brake the generator to stop the generator over-reving and supplying too much voltage to the controller.

The controller will be sensing the ripple in the voltage (or pulse in the voltage) coming from the generator and dividing it by the Pole Logarithm value to calculate the RPM of the generator. As the speed of the generator increases the generator voltage will also increase, and the controller will start braking the generator once the generator gets to a certain RPM.
2 x Goodwe GW5048D-ES Hybrid inverters, 13kW panels, 20kWh LiFePO4
Mk2 PV Router feeding excess solar generation to a 3.6kW 250 ltr HWS
APR
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Introduce yourself