Virtual Tracker panel arrangement

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Virtual Tracker panel arrangement

Postby Bman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:53 pm

If I was to go the Virtual Tracker route, on this house http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t60 ... xeb3zr.jpg
would I need to change the angle of the panels to 60°, or is 45°be acceptable?
Or, would I be better of facing north on this corner area on the ground?
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t60 ... lf19wz.jpg
The house is stand alone off grid, so no concerns about FiT, only having batteries charged(probably LiFePo4)
Is also going to be our full time home, not a holiday house. Only shade on the roof is late late afternoon.
No shade on the ground.
Bman
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:49 pm

45deg slope will work, but it will have a bit of a central peak and less output in early morning/late afternoon, rather than being nearly flat output all day. However, since you have the space, why not ground mount, where they are easier to clean? You can face them ENE and WNW (better than directly E and W as discussed earlier in this thread) on a ground mount quite easily, north facing will get you more output, but if you can't make use of it, there is no point in facing them all north.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:31 am

the question of mounting aluminium frames on galvanized steel has come up on this thread before,

i have done this ten years ago and not noticed anything adverse. some of the galvanized bolts went a bit rusty though, but nothing to worry about for the next 100 years. (those bolts do not touch aluminium though, only the galvanized frame.)

in water tanks copper and stainless steel seems to be compatible too.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:01 pm

I thought I might try some 8mm x 15mm nylon bolts, nylon nuts, and a nylon washer between panel and painted steel frame.
Chinese e-bay of course and not expensive.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Singlepot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:24 am

Very interesting! Many thanks.
Singlepot
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance