LED-backlit TV? Turn the backlight down!

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

LED-backlit TV? Turn the backlight down!

Postby PNjunction » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:42 pm

It may seem obvious to some, but unlike my own laptop where I turn the backlight down to save power, I never really considered it to do the same with my led-backlit tv!

You can verify it easily enough even with a consumer level meter like a P3 International Kill-A-Watt meter.

In my case, I was testing a backup satellite tv monitoring system, which was a simple system of nothing more than a large Optima Blue Top, a pure-sine-wave inverter to power the system.

When I turned the system on, I was running at about the max amount of led-backlighting pulling more than 100 watts. With the backlight just above zero, only 45 watts.

Certainly it is not ideal to watch in a very bright room, and I use the system for emergencies, but what was really apparent was the real power reduction even from a moderate decrease in backlighting without destroying viewing pleasure.

I actually got used to it, and after a few small adjustments for brightness to somewhat compensate, it is saving a lot of power for my non-battery usage now too.

So armed with a meter like the kill-a-watt, you can easily see what you can live with and how much power you can save.
PNjunction
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: LED-backlit TV? Turn the backlight down!

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 pm

Did you ever find a solution..???

I often find our TV to be unnecessarily bright..

did you try GOOGLE??
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency