QLD Tariff 33 to 31 - $85 Energex Smart Meter Fee

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

QLD Tariff 33 to 31 - $85 Energex Smart Meter Fee

Postby Card Shark » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:48 pm

A move to "Night Rate" hot water (31) from "Off Peak" (33) makes sense with solar, however I discovered today in QLD a hefty fee to change one digit in an existing smart meter... For this household more than one quarters HW. CS
Card Shark
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: QLD Tariff 33 to 31 - $85 Energex Smart Meter Fee

Postby Tracker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 am

I am assuming that you have to install the NEW meter In order to qualify for the new rate... :evil:
I am hoping that is a one-off fee and not yearly..

And... they will likely change the tariff back to 33 or even more, when they get the chance..

$85...... 2c saving...... 4250kWH consumption for break even..... likely 2years consumption.. :roll:
Will they leave it alone for two years... :?:

I would speculate-
With significant household power reductions becauce of high energy costs, and seeking out power efficient devices,
With folk becoming more aware of day time rates, and using power in lower rate periods
With more folk installing solar to power their needs during the peak periods.
With more people looking at hybrid power systems and going off-grid, especially where the solar exposure encourages it....

That significant rises will follow so that profit margins can be maintained.... :cry:
And.. that they will likelybe wanting to install the new meters for free, before the breakeven period.. ;)
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Card Shark » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 am

Hi Tracker. I believe they can reprogram the meter that's there. The exercise Is to potentially reduce self consumption during daylight hours and maximize the .54 FIT from solar. A 15amp time clock to run PM maybe a better way to go. CS
Card Shark
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Tracker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:30 am

Card Shark wrote:....reprogram the meter that's there.......reduce self consumption...... maximize the .54 FIT from solar. .....

54c... but that is now gone for anyone else, like the 60c in NSW

It all gets SOOooo confusing.. :cry:

The point that I was making is that I am SURE that most of that energy industry is H.U.R.T.I.N.G.

Now what is going to happen to the National Grid as the mammoth power users, shut down their plant..
Yes... Alcoa would not have been paying anything like WE pay :mrgreen:
Shell, Ford, Holden etc.etc.etc. .... Imagine the surplus generation that there will likely be..
( I don't know if those bills go thru a retailer - I suspect not )

Anyway - ALL the players will need their normal profits AND where they are ShareHolder owned, they will be demanding their penny's worth.. THEY will make us pay, and no Commission or Authority will deny them, because they will be appointed by GOVERNMENTS and GOVERNMENTS made the profits selling off the assets, and I bet the family jewels that there is some fine print in the sale contracts, protecting the purchasers for X years..

4250kWH ... You would need to use 12kWH a night for a year, or 6kWH a night for two years, just to break even..
Like... how many functions can you transfer to night time usage.. Dishwasher and washing machine- Perhaps 1 each..?
Charging batteries for use during the day is an obvious and inefficient one..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Personally I'd pay the $85.

Most likely you'll get the money back through reduced power costs and it also avoids the need for you to use a timer of your own (which if hard wired will end up costing more than $85 anyway).

Worst case, if they jacked the prices up tomorrow, you've only lost $85 - it's not like you're risking a fortune.

I'd do it. T31 in Qld should always be cheaper than T33 for fundamental technical and economic reasons, with the demise of the carbon tax likely to widen the gap rather than shrink it. Even if T31 prices do go up, you can be pretty sure that T33 will be going up as well so you're still better off just paying the $85 once off and doing the change.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Reenie » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:50 am

I'm not sure if it has changed but on Qld you used to get the first change of tariff for free each year, and then it would cost.
I have a heat pump and find that even on tariff 31 it turns on too often so I turn it off at the switch next to the heat pump itself. Only downside to this is when I forget to turn it back on and run out of hot water.
When I first moved here Energex tried to tell me heat pumps can't run on tariff 31 but Quantum tell me that is NOT the case.
Reenie
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Windaroo Resort » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Also cost me $85 when I got solar hot water to go back to T31, I only use the power in winter to top it up. Spring, summer & autumn I just turn it off at the breaker anyway :)
Cheers
Glenn

SMA Sunnyboy 5000 tl 20 & 22 x 250 watt Ulica Panels
Solargain 315L 2 Panel Split System with Electric Booster

http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=26925&sid=24628
Windaroo Resort
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives