Off grid swimming pool

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Off grid swimming pool

Postby TsaTsa2CV » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi everyone,

After successfully adapting to off grid living and loving it, it's time to think of think of installing a pool.
We're talking about a 35000 lt pool with a Remco cover to retain heat and help keep it cleaner and stop wildlife (bloody wombats) falling in.......
We already have a Lorentz solar pool pump PS 600 that can run directly of panels or of a 48V battery bank.
Toying with the idea of installing a second, smaller lithium-iron powered system just running pool and pool and garden lights and as an emergency house system, if and when the main system fails one day to run at least the base load. Maybe a second hand system that's been replaced by a larger system, not uncommon :oops:
Does anyone on the forum have any helpful advice or experience with enviroswimm sanitizing system?

Look forward to any advise
TsaTsa2CV
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Off grid swimming pool

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:08 pm

No personal experience with the offgrid pool . Though we are offgrid and have plans to install one one day soon.

My view is keep everything as passive as possible. Install a few (even second hand) panels dedicated to Directly running the pool pump, MPPT driver to DC pump. Keep the loads off the AC/DC inverter and batterys out of the picture.

I have a back up 48v lithium bank and inverter/charge controller that could run the house in a pinch and its a nice fuzzy feeling knowing you could at least flush toilets, have lights on and keep food cool if the main system was down. Though I wouldn't use it to run a pool pump as I don't see the point going through batterys and DC/AC inverters.

Kind of hard to get enthusiastic about pools this time of year....ask me again in another few months :lol:

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm using a Calvi 500W pool pump to pump water in my large aquaponics system- it will operate directly from 500-1000W of PV, although I'm using batteries on it ATM. It is a 3phase motor and has adjustable speed control. I haven't done any efficiency tests yet, but it looks reasonable pumping to a 5m head- more than you need with a swimming pool.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby lantern » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:57 pm

lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby TsaTsa2CV » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks for replays,
Similar specs re Lorentz pump, 700w 3phase motor with adjustable speed control. Same sentiment about keeping pool separate to house, including lighting in and around the pool and enviroswim. With a small lithium iron system of say 400 Ah or less we would have an emergency standby system for the house with the turn of a switch or two for base load. No problem about water for the WC, with 132000 lt up the hill :D

I believe enviroswim only needs to run about 2-3h a day and pool filter pump is not drawing very much, if it's like our other Lorentz helical rotor pump filling the tank up the hill.
I will find out what the maximum draw is from the enviroswim people.

We have investigated the natural Swimmingpool at great length over a long time now to come to the conclusion that they are not all that suitable for Australia and even installers admit they tend to overheat unless very deep and large. In that case they also loose a large quantity of water to evaporation.

Hence now leaning to a less natural looking pool that can be easily covered by a almost hidden, floating roller door typ pool cover. In this way keeping evaporation to a minimum and water temperature reasonable cooling or heating (opening/closing) depending on conditions.
Has anyone any knowledge of the enviroswim?
TsaTsa2CV
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Why do you need a battery can't the pump run directly from PV . Start when there is adequate sun run all day and shut down in the afternoon.

400ah is a lot of lithium for a back up system . I run a full 350m2 modern 4 bedroom home with all the mod cons + a 120m2 shed full of power tools and a electric car all from 400ah of lifepo4 at 48v

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Living Green