All Electric Nissan Leaf bought

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

All Electric Nissan Leaf bought

Postby lizzydiz88 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:53 pm

I've now had it for one week, bought from Nissan Moorooka, although I live on the Sunshine Coast. My impressions:
super quiet
races up hills much more easily than a petrol car
zippy acceleration
many fancy tech features - still learning how to use them
keyless entry and ignition, nifty but confusing at first
quirky looking
leading to lots of interesting conversations with colleagues and members of the public who see it
recharging and a/c can be controlled remotely from a smart phone
working well as a local car in our two-car family
really enjoying this car :P

The photo shows my car being recharged at the BMW Tritium fast charger in Brisbane, with the BMW i3 (fantastic but expensive) next to it, also being recharged. I expect to do 99% of my recharging in my carport.
Attachments
Leaf charging next to BMW i3 in Bris.jpg
Leaf charging next to BMW i3 in Bris.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
3.04 solar pv system
Blog at https://empowerrepower.wordpress.com/
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: All Electric Nissan Leaf bought

Postby Tracker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Lucky you - congratulations..

I am just so scared of the bloody things .. Pedestrians etc.

how often do we practically step out, with having heard NOTHING..

Imagine kids and a leaf - quite as a leaf falling.. ;)
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi, yes, being so quiet is good as far as noise pollution goes (imagine how pleasant busy city streets would be without the roar of motors and the petrol/diesel fumes), but not as good for pedestrian safety. The car has a reversing audible tone, and a quieter one when travelling forward under 35 km/p/h. I am very aware of looking out for pedestrians. It isn't just pure electric cars that have this issue, but also any hybrid that goes on pure electric at low speeds.
3.04 solar pv system
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Tracker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Interesting about the forward beeper... that is inspiring. For safety...
But as you are already aware, you have even more of a challenge as a driver.. you have to think about pedestrians..

I do envy your problems.. ;)

Rude question... ow much
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 am

Well done, I'm sure you will be one happy customer as you learn to make the most of the car. They sure do some nice OEM paint jobs on all the leafs I have seen.

As for pedestrians not hearing your car and all that. It's over rated. We have had our car for almost two years and I haven't had one issue. It gets driven a lot in a busy city car parks and all that during the week and quiet country town on the weekends.

What I find is as soon as you turn on most EV's the vacuum pump comes on and builds a vacuum reserve for braking for a few seconds (about as noisy as a AC water pressure pump on your house starting for a few seconds) This alerts people there is somthing going on. Also if you have the Airconditioning on (almost all the time in QLD) the sound of the variable speed compressor ramping up initially along with the thermo fan is another noise you are alerted to.

Small modern petrol cars with stock exhausts are so quiet at low RPM/Speeds now days combined with the ambient noise of a city or other traffic in a car park you can't hear them much low speeds. So its not much different for the pedestrian ev or quiet gas car. Once your at speed the wind and tyre noise is the majority of the noise on both gas and electric cars.

Sure if you tried to sneak up on some one walking away from you in a area with ambient noise you could in a EV but it's not a issue (just a talking point for the EV haters)

The main area you notice where its quiet is in the cabin. No vibration plays a big part. You also notice it when you step on the accelerator hard going up a hill. Its just a rush of power instantaneously with no increase in noise to go with it.

I dont think you would have any trouble at all getting from the sunshine coast to brisbane CBD in your leaf.Then charge at BMW fast charger for return trip. Or is that what you are already doing in the pic?

Kurt.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lizzydiz88 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi Kurt,
I haven't tried driving the Leaf to Brisbane yet, but did stop at the BMW fast charger when we picked it up from Brisbane. After a month driving the car, I'm slowly getting to grips with all the fancy electronic bits. Yesterday I bought a second evse (charging cable) from Holden, the one they make for the Holden Volt, for $350. I'm going to attach it to the carport wall, so I won't have the get the EVSE in and out of the boot each day, which was a bit of an inconvenience to my lazy side.

So far, my maximum drive for a day has been 80km, so haven't pushed it to the edge of its range yet. Still trying to get the Carwings data working, which allows you to turn charging and a/c on and off via a smart phone, and provides lots of data on power use etc. I've been in touch with Nissan, and it seems to be some software issue, and I believe it will be fixed soon.

As to power use, I'm expecting it to be about 0.2 KwH per km, so at 28c per KwH that gives me 100km for $5.60 + another $1 for certified GreenPower = total of $6.60. This compares to 100 km for $12.60 of petrol in my similarly sized Hyundai i30. So the running cost is roughly half, but in some places with access to good off-peak rates it would be an even better saving.

One surprise has been how many kms in the Leaf we've done in a month - 2000 km rather than the 1250 km I was expecting to do. We've realised the increased mileage is because both myself and my husband like driving the Leaf better than the second petrol car, so it is doing a bigger proportion of our travel. It is just more fun to drive. My 16-year-old son is on his L-plates, and has also enjoyed a few lessons in it. We're all enjoying the car, but I've been accused by my other half of hogging the Leaf, and I'm guilty as charged. :lol:
3.04 solar pv system
Sunshine Coast, Qld
lizzydiz88
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Yes, next you will find your self having to replace starting battery's in your old conventional cars as they just don't get used much anymore and go flat ;)

You soon build confidence in what trips use what amount of energy. I rarly even look at the SOC gauge now just once when I head off and then I just drive. As you have confidence it's within the range if you have completed the tip before. I can say for sure you would have no issue in getting to Brisbane .

If I take it easy and take the old roads. I can get to your area on just 1/2 a charge from the CBD. Heading back into Brisbane from the same area but via the freeway it's about the same.

A few options to charge in Brisbane . BMW for the fast charge and or slower charge, a few Nissan dealerships slow charge. Along with a few in car parks and private locations. If you ever get stuck I would lend you a 15A socket in Brisbane and if you get to know any of the AEVA members most would offer the same in various locations.

Though to be honest once I am on the coast full time (hopefully soon) I don't think I will come to Brisbane that often.

Ps,
7:30pm Wednesday, 15/4/2015 at the Albion Peace Centre, 102 McDonald Rd, Windsor. Free for members arriving in an Electric Vehicle; otherwise $2 for members, $3 for non-members to cover catering costs.

This meeting I would like to discuss

- Show the display at Byron ECO park (Tyagarah)
- Who would like to attend the LEAF festival in May
- Who would like to attend the Motorfest in July
- Who would like to attend the Centenary Rocks festival in July
- Who would like to attend the AEVA National AGM in Perth in October
- Date for the Brisbane AGM
- Anything else people are interested in

Charging available at the meeting.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles