Using ice instead of batteries for energy storage

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Using ice instead of batteries for energy storage

Postby gfsben » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:23 pm

David- i have pulled apart gas fridges and cycled them on a bench top. They are designed for relitively high grade heat, from a gas flame or a resistance element. I am yet to see a small cheap chiller that can run of low grade heat such as hot coolent.

Gordon- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12v-200ah-LI ... 43bfff8691
So $5600 actually. Like i said i only glanced at it, im sure you know where to get them cheaper.

I can see how from a purely storage perspective, particularly of PV, lithium stack up. Especially if you are flush with money.
From a cogen perspective, especially where you have a variety of generation methods, It seems to me that batteries can be looked upon more as flywheels, there to start or run large loads for a short time, bridging the gap and smoothing out peaks inbetween inputs and outputs.
I know that if i spend around $450 for instance http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Lion-Bat ... 3cee9af1e8
then I can run power tools, TIG welder, plasma cutter, compressors. For a short time at least, then i would have to run an engine or turbine. Which is fine because they are providing heat and cooling also.
Would i get this sort of utility if i spent $450 on lithium? I doubt it.
But look, in general i am convinced. When i can afford it i will buy some for an electric bike, and further down the track they may end up in my truck.
gfsben
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Using ice instead of batteries for energy storage

Postby davidg » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:00 pm

gfsben wrote:David- i have pulled apart gas fridges and cycled them on a bench top. They are designed for relitively high grade heat, from a gas flame or a resistance element.

I think I would funnel some of the exhaust through a tube in tube arrangement for when driving so the exhaust is not actually going down the heat tube of the chiller system. Electric element/s and fan/s for when using excess solar.

Contact this business EV Power a 12VDC 100AH battery is about $600 plus GST
or
This business EV works a 12VDC 90AH ah for about $560 plus GST

EV Power have small BMS protection arrangements for batteries.
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Living Green