My ebikes antics over the years

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re: My ebikes antics over the years

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:16 am

I wont go into details but from previous dealings I don't like how lifetech conducts business.

Unless your running a 10A controller with a 24v battery its lot a legal power output.

Most factory (APARENTLY LEGAL) ebikes use 20a controllers and make a good 500w.

I have lost track a little where you can purchase headway cells in Australia now days but do a google for headway lithium cells will bring up a few listings. Last pack I purchased was direct from Headway china 4 1/2 years ago.

Try going to http://endless-sphere.com/forums/ that's the best electric bike forum on the net. You will find the info you need and more there.

Kurt.
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby karlajensen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:57 pm

can buy them from both evpower and evworks here in WA
around $25 a cell or so.

I went for Paul at EM3EV.com, he uses Samsung cells and a ripper BMS with current limiters on every cell fo the BMS so even it is safe.
not quite the Turnigy / zippy pack kind of performance as only good for 3C however the 45-90c brick packs typically only good for under 200 cycles and they are notorious for cell failures and catching fire if abused.

The Samsungs better at say 500-800 cycles -not headway numbers which are typically >1000 cycles but much easier to fit in a bike frame and still much lighter (by about 1/2).

All compromises, just have to be happy which compromises you can handle.

48V and 25A makes for a great ebike be it road / hybrid or mountain and an extra couple of amps makes it even better.
1000W and up makes for a great bike, as Kurt says if you keep a low profile all is good.
that said if you're busted ripping 1000cc superbikes its going to be hard to explain you're only running 250W but you're an exceptional cyclist....
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby sandymac » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Some commenters have mentioned using RC (Remote Control - LiPO batteries for model cars etc).
I used two of these for 12 months but one night, during charging, one caught fire and caused the other one to ignite too!

I strongly urge you to charge RC-LIPOs outside in a place where damage will be minimal. I had mine outside but the 2 chargers were ruined of course.

I now have a 60v 10Ah Headway battery which weighs 8Kg. It has made the bike run beautifully - but is much more expensive than 2x 22v 5Ah RC-LiPo.

If you can afford it, higher voltages are the way to go as they run much cooler for the same power.
sandymac
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 pm

Yes lithium cobalt battery's need to be managed appropriately as they are a less forgiving and a bit more spectacular in a thermal runaway event.

If you want performance though very high energy density- light weight pack that can knock out some serious kw then that the cheap HK lithium cobalt packs are amazing bang for your $.

A member of the Perth branch of a EV car club I am in has build a 238kg super bike using the hobby king- turnigy 40C lipo (RC model lipo) the bikes battery pack is 700 volt , 184hp at the back wheel and 250kph+
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/voltronevo-jonescgs-new-electric-race-bike_topic3553_page7.html

I thought 100v of lithium cobalt - 100A controller was scary on my E trike. That bike is insane. :lol:

Amazing stuff, HK lipo. I wont be getting rid of mine anytime soon. Just take appropriate safety precautions and it's fine. Treat it the same as one would a volatile liquid fuel. I keep and charge mine in a 5mm thick steel box in the shed so no harm in the event of component failure of moment of absent mindedness.

That said I agree for a lazy commuter bike that you want to wheel into your apartment and charge next to your bed stick with lifepo4.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

a bit OT

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Who needs a battery pack when you have a 15-20km/hr tailwind ;) (until the final 10km)
GPS speed trace from my 35km mtb ride into town today, first 12km on dirt road:

Fast-cycle.gif
Fast-cycle.gif (12.45 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 am

That's some impressive speed Gordon for human power on dirt roads.I keep my MTB as peddle only I wouldn't get anything near that speed over distance perhaps down hills.

We have family over this weekend from Adelaide and we have had the statement "boy I wouldn't want to be riding a bike on the roads " in response to all the hills.

I hope the wind settled down for your ride home.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:18 am

No ride home, after spending the day shovelling a ton of cow poo in the process of building up some raised garden beds on a job for my wife, it was getting dark, and I was feeling a bit tired, so it was a ride home in the Hilux!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Previous

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles