New to the forum - LED savings question

There's more to renewable energy than just wind and solar power - hydro, wave, geothermal to name a few. Discuss these RE alternatives here!

New to the forum - LED savings question

Postby peterwillmott » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi guys, I work in the agriculture industries, and I am really interested in learning about what solar can do for us. I am only learning, I have a little electrical knowledge so don't relax on the terminology. I am also interested
cost savings calculations

I am currently replacing Halogen down lights with LED lights , I have 55 halogens have replaced 12 and the bill and reduced well

The only way I am calculating is if one LED is 6 watts and a halogen is 50w, then a saving of 44 watts is made

55 lights at a 44w saving = 2.2 KW/h Pretty Massive So How do I calculate this financially

cheers

Peter
peterwillmott
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: New to the forum- LED savings question

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Peter :)

To calculate cost savings you need to know how long the lights will be on, and the savings will be, for whatever period you choose, (halogen kWh) - (LED kWh) * cost per kWh.

kWh = wattage * time * number of lights / 1000
for example:
6W * 5hr * 12 LEDs /1000 = 0.36kWh
vs
50W * 5hr *12 / 1000 = 3kWh

If electricity is 20c/kWh, then you would have saved (3 - 0.36) * 20c = 53c.

However, you may need more than a 6W LED to replace a good quality 50W halogen, or else be prepared to work under lower levels of illumination.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Other renewable energy