Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Postby Merridy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 am

I understand Mitsubishi Australia is asking to have the 240V 6A AC output socket fitted as part of the 2015 upgrade. It was shown to dealers last year at the initial presentation but was missing when the cars arrived!

I'll then be able to power appliances in my garage and may even connect it to one or two (isolated) circuits in my house. (I have designed the switching and timer circuit.) I will NOT connect it to the grid.

Using the car to supplement the house during daylight hours will maximise my solar feed-in $. Using it after dark will reduce my peak usage too. I will then charge the car fully after midnight (off-peak) and have it ready to drive or supply power the next day.
Merridy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:50 am

Merridy wrote:I understand Mitsubishi Australia is asking to have the 240V 6A AC output socket fitted as part of the 2015 upgrade. It was shown to dealers last year at the initial presentation but was missing when the cars arrived!....

It will be most interesting to see if the hope turns to action.. bottom line..
6A outlet.. 1500W. You would assume continuous... likely a five thousand dollar cost as a retrofit.. probably 10 big ones, given the way the auto industry prices their stuff.. :evil:

But if it comes off, then it will be a great feature, but at what pay back time.. Cross Fingers..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Merridy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:28 am

My local Mitsubishi dealer believes the Australian PHEV wiring harness is 'standard' and therefore has the plugs available. They just have to plug-in the inverter and 240V socket. I would think the retrofit cost should be under $300 for parts and labour.
Merridy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:44 am

I would think the retrofit cost should be under $300 for parts and labour.

I don't think so they charge $400 to service a car (change oil and filter, even a EV that dosn't have anything to service it about that cost :lol: ) inverter alone will be thousands then the labor. Floor mats are several hundred dollars. Even the plasic trim around the stereo is several hundred dollars. OEM parts are expensive.

last night our local Ev club had a presentation from Mitsubishi regarding there Out lander EV. (when - if they give us the Ok then the video can be posted online) They mentioned even the fast charger option (that came stock on the Imiev) would add 10k to the price of the out lander. It sounded way to steep to me but that's what they said.

I still don't see why you would want to put additional cycles on your EV traction pack (that has a limited life and is very expensive) Just to save - make a few $ cycling power in and out of it .

Its to high spec battery to wast it dribbeling 1500w into the grid. Trying to think of an analogy ....... :? ......Ok think of it this way. You just purchased a $5000 4k movie projector and lets say this particular model had a limited life of 7500hr's viewing. That's 2hrs a day for 10 years.

Would you prefer to enjoy one 2hr movie a day on it every day for 10 years. Or would you prefer to tune it into one of the commercial - infomercial channels selling robot vacuum cleaners 24/7 and leave it switched in 24/7 and let the tv do that until its burnt out after 300 days?

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Merridy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:47 pm

I think Mitsubishi have assumed most owners will discharge/charge the car on a daily basis when quoting their battery life expectancy. The days I am not driving I'll be powering the house. Same number of cycles with a $ advantage.

At $400 for the cost of the inverter + socket + switching circuit in my garage, the payback is about 6 months.
Merridy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Who said it was $400?

The number of cycles is just that a number 500 - 1000 - 10000 . why get 5 years from it when you could get 10.

there is some Use it or loose it with EV's with calender life of the battery's though its yet to be proven conclusively.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:02 pm

As Michael Caton said, "tell 'im he's dreamin"

You can't legally export to the grid from your EV battery, so you are just left with using the battery to offset grid usage. What is your daytime energy use?

I reckon you'd have to think very carefully about this, as the most likely outcome is, as Kurt said, an early EV battery replacement, and that will be very expensive. Will it be less than the savings due to offset electricity usage? ... that's the $64000 question, (or perhaps a bit less ;) ) but I doubt it.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:30 pm

One interesting things Mitsubishi mentioned in last nights presentation was.

If the car was stationary and you used the 2lt petrol engine/generator to recharge the cars battery It would consume 4lt of fuel to recharge a depleted battery from empty (Actually 20% soc) to 80% SOC . So doing the maths its a 12kwh battery 10kwh usable and engine/generator charging is limited to 80% so total of 8kwh.

4lt of burnt fuel for 8kwh DC in the battery . $1.50lt for petrol x 4lt = $6.00 / 8kwh $ 0.75 kwh.

Probably ok comparing it to any other fuel powered generator but you defiantly want to plug it in at your home tariff vs using the 2 lt petrol engine to recharge the battery.

I think the 1500w inverter and two outlets (one in the back and one in the rear passenger area that comes on the Jap spec out lander is a 110v inverter.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles