Solar Panels to charge Electric bike batteries

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re: Solar Panels to charge Electric bike batteries

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Well I guess if you ride your bike responsibly .As in use the power to get you up steep climbs and keep your speed around what you would expect from a peddle bike 40kph or so then you won't have issues. That said it's the law on a public road. I have two amp limiting settings on my bike onroad/offroad 200w / 2500w. My avarage voltage is around 55v and I run a 5A and 45A limiter.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Privatteer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:42 am

Never looked up the rules here but locally I know they enforce it on the rated output of motor whether or not its limited is not considered.
Fresh slate - recently moved.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 am

And how do they come up with the rated output of the motor. By looking for a label on it?

Electric motors don't output any power only what you feed them minus ineficiancys. The rating number printed on the motor casing is meaningless. well it might give you a rough indication of the continouse input power the motor might be able to handle with without overheating.

So your so called legal ebikes are governed all electric vehicle motors are governed by there controller (controller max amp limit) just like my bike is . what you do off road is non of there business.

The only thing that would stand up in court would be if they took your bike and measured the power in watts And it couls be proven it was applying more than 200w to the ground.

As long as you don't get busted applying more than 200w to the ground on the street then I don't see any law being broken.

Honesty 200w to the ground is useless . lucky to even move you along at more than a walking speed on flat ground . Most of the little ebike kits you see with 200w printed on them are 15A controllers and 36v battery's. 15x36 540w . so whatbthe sticker on the motor reads it's all a joke.

I don't mind a speed limit but a wattage limit is pointless.

10,000w ebike with 35kmh top speed is way more fun than a 500w ebike with 50kph top end.

My ebike motor is rated at 200w and even has the engraved factory specs to prove it . but is happy being fed 10x that rating.

Kurt
Offgrid 2008, Selectronic PS1 6kw/48v inverter, x 2 Midnite solar classic 150 MPPT, 3960w NE PV 24 x 165w BP panels, 4200w NW PV 21 x 200w DAQO PV, 16x400ah lithium.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Dricus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi,

We're actually building solar powered scooters

Let me upload a photo..

First performance tests came in, I can share some results if you're interested.
Attachments
2013-11-06 10.07.30.jpg
Based in Shanghai, China, working in PV manufacturing industry 7+ years. If you're interested, check out my blog Sinovoltaics. It's mainly about solar panel quality from PV manufacturers in Asia
Dricus
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Rusdy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi all,
I had same issue (trying to charge my 36v ebike battery using solar panel), as i got a bargain panel, 12v 80w for only aud100. BUt, i only found very few company make bmppt charger, i.e. genasun, usd300 for custom voltage. Or gsl for 48v lithium battery.

Being stingy as i am, i've decided to make my own bmppt charger using arduino uno. Happy to report it works for overall component cost less than aud100. Assuming, you have the infrastructure to make your own board :-)

Details in http://epxhilon.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/bmppt-solar-charger-2.html
Rusdy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Rusdy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Dricus wrote:
First performance tests came in, I can share some results if you're interested.

Out of curiosity, what is the total power output of those flexible panel? Is it enough to charge? On my ebike, I use around 600wh for my 30km round trip. My 80w panel, which is quite large, definitely struggles to meet this demand.
Rusdy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Rusdy wrote:Hi all,
I had same issue (trying to charge my 36v ebike battery using solar panel), as i got a bargain panel, 12v 80w ....

Not much of a bargain when you need to charge 36V from a 12V panel.. You will need a buck-inverter and that alone will decrease efficiency..

You really should have got a 35V panels at worst (45V VOC) .. :(
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:34 pm

offgridQLD wrote:
Honesty 200w to the ground is useless .
Kurt

Kurt,
if we sat you on an exercise bike and forced you (at gun point) to pedal to create 200 continuous watts to exhaustion, how long do you think could you keep it up?
1 minute, 5 minutes, half an hour, all day long ?
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

Dricus wrote:....We're actually building solar powered scooters.......

I wonder what they would be like in a stiff breeze.. :idea:
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Dricus » Wed May 07, 2014 4:07 pm

I wonder what they would be like in a stiff breeze..

The wind doesn't influence much the performance (top speed / range) of the electric scooters I've used. But of course once you add a roof to the scooter, you will catch more wind.. so i guess it depends what kind of winds you're facing. Here in the city there's few wind.
My experience is those electric scooters perform well as long as you're not trying to ride uphill..

Out of curiosity, what is the total power output of those flexible panel? Is it enough to charge?

The current power is 90W, and now working on a model with 120W power. It could be a lot more when using (expensive) high efficiency cells, but the main exercise was to keep it affordable. It adds around 5- 10km of range daily when kept in the full sun. This can be improved because the angle towards the sun isn't ideal for the scooters on the photo.
Based in Shanghai, China, working in PV manufacturing industry 7+ years. If you're interested, check out my blog Sinovoltaics. It's mainly about solar panel quality from PV manufacturers in Asia
Dricus
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles