Important - DIY modifications to electrical equipment

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Important - DIY modifications to electrical equipment

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Important - DIY modifications to electrical equipment: warranty, compliance, safety, insurance and legal issues.

As this forum grows we're seeing some people doing some amazing things with equipment such as cheap Chinese inverters, for example, obtaining much better performance and efficiency.

However, just as a general heads-up, something we wanted to flag were potential problems with some modifications in relation to safety, compliance, warranty, insurance and legal issues.

Clearly your warranty is invalid once the equipment is modified in any way, and in any case should not be attempted by the inexperienced and unqualified, as the voltages concerned are deadly.

Before you carry out any modifications to your equipment, please consider any possible impact it may have in regard to safety, the law, compliance and your warranty. Don't rely on second-hand information, speak directly with suitably qualified people and talk to your insurance company and consult your state authorities - just to play it safe.

The purpose of the site is to provide a place for discussions on all things related to renewable energy, green living and similar related topics. DIY is fine, I'm pretty keen on it myself and have designed and built my own PV array trackers.
Keep in mind that this is a public forum, and that there are members who work on the supply side of the electricity industry, when posting about what you are connecting to the mains.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Components, Installation And Performance