PV module price declines continue

News, product developments and events occurring in the wind and solar power industry

PV module price declines continue

Postby paulzubrinich » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:39 am

Photovoltaic module prices have fallen by more than 2% in July and 44% year-on-year, according to the latest figures from IMS Research. August is predicted to see a slight increase, however.

According to the IHS iSuppli Module Price Index, at the end of June Tier 1 Chinese suppliers were, on average, selling product at around US$0.771/Wp. Tier 2 and Tier 3 players, meanwhile, were selling at $0.726/Wp and $0.710/Wp, respectively. Furthermore, in July, the company said it expected prices to fall to €0.57 (around $0.70) by the end of the year for Chinese Tier 1 and 2 modules.

Read more: http://www.pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/pv-module-price-declines-continue_100008113/
paulzubrinich
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: PV module price declines continue

Postby Tracker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Does anyone have any idea what prices could eventually fall to..

I would have thought that there would be a figure, below which it is financially impossible to manufacture panels, and more relevant, below which it is environmentally stupid to produce them..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:29 pm

I suspect that a base price is hard to define because it is no longer simply a cost-of-production issue. We now have currency issues involved, government policies (both producer and retailer) and so many other factors that the simplistic view no longer works.

A few years ago I consulted to a large company that really opened my eyes to the way international businesses operated. For example, some of the raw materials they used made a profit before they even used it - the way they managed the worldwide shipping, hedging and currency dealing meant that by the time the material got the the factories it was largely free! That process was repeated with the end product, and they made profit from trading their cash reserves to the extent that their product sales were not their main source of income.... In situations like that it is hard to state a base production price!
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Hey zzsstt,

Yeah, I used to work with a major importer here and the supply deals were usually settled months in advance. Currency hedging (basically buying the right to purchase overseas funds at a set price) was also stitched up months ahead so it wasn't actually too much of an unknown. Foreign exchange gains were always welcome, but, the powers that be in that organisation also wanted to discourage gambling on FX rates.

I've read that overseas manufacturers are supplying products at or near cost to finish off other countries production capabilities. Solar panels fall into this category. Nothing is ever what it seems in these situations.

Chris
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Anyone that works hard for a living is a fool these days (or maybe not).

The proceeds of shuffling paper and shifty corrupt covert dealings through off shore shelf companies, and legal firms based in Nigeria, are far more lucrative these days than actually producing anything tangible.
A nod and a wink can get you to meet the right people, that can set up deals that seem far too good to be true.

All this nonsense is about to come crashing down like a house of cards, and probably this year.
Its all going to change pretty dramatically, and SOON.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Solar And Wind Power News