Any one using Natural Gas for their car.

Into electric cars, hydrogen engines, biodiesel; in fact any sort of alternative fuel vehicle? Here's the place for you - questions, tips, resources and electric car/alternative fuel vehicle news.

Re: Any one using Natural Gas for their car.

Postby Smurf1976 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Therein lies the problem with most of these alternative transport fuels.

It can work for a council where the trucks all go back to the depot every night and aren't likely to ever travel outside the council's area (which for most councils is a manageable geographic area). Likewise it can work for city bus fleets etc for the same reason.

Also, in those cases there's an element of "give it a go and see what happens" about it all. The council can probably live with it if they end up with a couple of under performing and/or expensive trucks. It's only going to be a couple out of however many are in the fleet so it won't kill them operationally or financially. And of course it "looks good" for local government to be supporting alternative fuels too.

It's a very different situation however for vehicles in typical usage which do venture quite some distance from "home" to places where gas (or any other alternative fuel) isn't available.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby marmelada » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 pm

My friend and me are using natural gas in GMC savanna for couple years now. Pretty satisfied if talk about driving and fuel, but not happy about changing parts too often :shock:
marmelada
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 pm

marmelada wrote:....., but not happy about changing parts too often :shock:

Dare I ask for elaboration .... what were these parts changes/repairs ..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby davidg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 pm

marmelada wrote:My friend and me are using natural gas in GMC savanna for couple years now. Pretty satisfied if talk about driving and fuel, but not happy about changing parts too often :shock:

Natural or LPG? Natural gas needs to cooled to -166 deg c to keep it in the tank and liquid if your using it for any real distance, if you let if get hotter than that you lose it right through the container at the rate of 3% by volume per day, the molecules are that small. otherwise you can't really store or take much with you. :( - LPG roughly 200psi, tank is not special. :)
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby marmelada » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:53 pm

davidg wrote:Natural or LPG?

Pardon my English, that was LPG. We live in Europe.
marmelada
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby davidg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:53 am

marmelada wrote:Pardon my English, that was LPG. We live in Europe.

Tens of thousands of automotive vehicles in Aus use LPG, I use LPG and have done for 20+ years now, I've even installed it in cars a few times as well. Pretty highly regulated now in Aus and with Excise introduced the value of using it is shrinking unfortunately although it's still works out less than petrol at the moment, just nowhere near as good as it used to be. :(
Hybrid & Off-grid Systems - You could store Sun to use later- I Do!
SELECTRONIC SPMC-482 7.5kW, 7.2kW's of Arrays

with AC-Coupled Grid-Connected Inverters,
1100Ah 48V Bank

Auto Backup Genset
PVOutput Stats

We Sparkys light up your life :)
davidg
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 pm

There are several major problems to overcome with home brewing CNG.

The first is the very high pressures that the gas needs to be compressed to, to fit into a tank small enough to fit into a vehicle. CNG is not a liquid like Propane or Butane, it remains as a very highly compressed gas.

That is the reason why the CNG compressors are so very expensive, three stage water cooled ultra high pressure piston compressors don't come cheap.
Something that nobody has mentioned here yet, is the huge amount of horsepower required to compress natural gas to final tank pressure.
That requires a lot of Kilowatt hours of overnight electricity to fill up your car. The cost of the actual gas is nothing, its the cost of the electrical power required to compress the gas that will probably really surprise you.

I see no reason why a scuba tank compressor should not be capable of compressing natural gas if you wished to experiment. Its really doing a very similar job....

But the Government dont like it. Its not just the fact that they cannot skin you alive for road tax, its the idea of fires and explosions in suburban garages. The insurance companies and the fire brigade don't much like the idea of home made CNG either.

So I guess it will never be allowed, even if it were economic.
It might just be economic for large fleet operators that can get special rates for bulk electricity.
But for the average Joe, out in his garage, its a lot of trouble, potentially rather dangerous, and not that cost effective.

I used to work at the research labs of The Gas and Fuel Corporation Victoria about thirty years ago.
It was all looked into back then, and the politicians took real fright and the whole thing was swept under the carpet and very quickly hushed up.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Electric/Alternative Fuel Vehicles